Concrete Coop/Run Floor?

Hi guys, I have built MANY coops and runs over the years but I moved to KY recently and the "Best" place to build my new coop on this property (for the humans at least!) is under the lean-to portion of my barn. The thing is- it is all concrete there. Does anyone have experience with this type of floor for a run? I can see a lot of potential goods, and some bads- but figure I'm not the first to come across this.

Some more info if you are interested: Construction-wise the location is a dream and will be a breeze to build a full enclosure with wire, etc that will be a 10x40 run plus a coop for ~20 chickens. Unfortunately, free-ranging is out because my 100+ acres is a predator-haven, I have seen no less than 10 types of critters that love chickens, mainly hawks, foxes and coyotes.

The Pros of a concrete base I see are:
  • No predators can dig under the fence
  • Cleanup will be easy as I have a super high-power horse hose right there
  • Building is a breeze because ~75% of my structure is already there
  • Cost-wise it's a huge savings building here because materials are silly expensive
  • The whole area is covered already with a real roof
  • Where I live is insanely windy (all year) and this area provides good protection
The cons of the concrete base I see are:
  • Going to guess the chickens are not big fans of concrete under their feet vs dirt
  • I'll have to provide grit, dust baths, etc. for them to get their essential chicken-needs
  • I'm having trouble coming up with more cons, which is why I am asking, I may be missing something big.
Thanks in advance!
Hey! We are going to build a concrete ditch (ditch filled with concrete) to atrach the run to with an 8 inch ledge. So it will be a dirt floor then we will fill it with builders sand. Sand (as long as it is in the shade because it gets blazing hot in the California sun) is clean and can be scooped in about 25 seconds a day for cleaning, sprayed down for cooling and washing, plus they can dust bath in it AND use it for grit. It’s thermal properties are great so it’s cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. And then you aren’t paying for an entire concrete pad. You just have to build a form for the foundation.
it’s Just a thought. Then they can use it for multi purpose.
One con Is birds get bumble foot quite easily when they jump off perches into concrete whereas sand is soft to land on.

Good thread. I'm learning a lot. I had to move my coop from the backyard where it was on dirt to a concrete slab at the farm. It's been a slight nightmare!!!! If there is such a thing. Worries about wood rotting faster, dirt or shavings or both on floor. $ is an issue so I've just been working with what I can find on the farm. I had a dog kennel here at home which worked great now not so much. I'm having to put sides up and then more hardware cloth which as taken blood! Hate that stuff but there are so many predators out there it's a must! It's my churches farm and it has to be out of view and looking at least decent. I had used tarps on the kennel/coop here at home but can't there. My brother would have a fit, he's my Pastor and boy is he picky! 😂
I'll keep reading as I work this new area and keep learning. Thanks y'all!

Good thread. I'm learning a lot. I had to move my coop from the backyard where it was on dirt to a concrete slab at the farm. It's been a slight nightmare!!!! If there is such a thing. Worries about wood rotting faster, dirt or shavings or both on floor. $ is an issue so I've just been working with what I can find on the farm. I had a dog kennel here at home which worked great now not so much. I'm having to put sides up and then more hardware cloth which as taken blood! Hate that stuff but there are so many predators out there it's a must! It's my churches farm and it has to be out of view and looking at least decent. I had used tarps on the kennel/coop here at home but can't there. My brother would have a fit, he's my Pastor and boy is he picky! 😂
You may check out the clearance section at Home Depot and stores like them. Sometimes you find very useful things. You may find some large sheets of plywood or siding you could use.

I went ahead and did it- and it has been great. I put treated 2x4's on edge and nailed in my mesh to those- then filled in the ~4" of complete floorspace around the whole run with dirt (that was a bit of a chore, but not too bad). Amazingly it is working great for me. The treated wood will be fine it is made to be in the dirt- and the dirt is actually staying in the run which I was worried they'd kick it all out. It seems to be working fine.

Back
Top Bottom