1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Concrete floor in *run*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by From the North, Feb 1, 2013.

1. From the North

From the North Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    Ok, my New Plan is to put the coop (a converted shed) just under the overhang of my barn, and enclose the walkway along the side of the barn as the run. This will be easy because I'm not using this space right now, and I figure it will be super easy to just attach some wire to the existing posts (there is kind of a half-wall that separates the large barn area from the walkway). This will give me a run of approximately 8 or 9 by 20 feet (more or less). It is a very sheltered area - run-in shed on the west side of the run, barn to the north side, and another barn on the east side. So sheltered on three sides, only open to the south.

The only catch is that it's mostly a concrete floor, except for about 12 feet at one end, which is dirt. Are there any major problems with having concrete in the run? I can put bedding or dirt or something down if needed. Is it needed? And if so does it need to be 100% covered?

I did a search but only found threads related to concrete flooring in the coop itself.

The chickens will be allowed out to free range when we are home on weekends, or after work in the evenings. So limited time out on actual dirt. We may also build a small tractor to bring them closer to the house on occasion.

Thoughts on the concrete?

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    It's going to be hot on the south side of the barn.

A layer of sand on the concrete will make it easier on the chickens' feet, easier to clean, and allow the chickens to scratch as is their wont.

Chris

3. From the North

Jan 22, 2013
    Hi Chris,

Heat is really the least of my worries up here -- the most we get is a day or two of 85-86F and those are really few and far between. I was thinking on the really hot days I could sweep back the dirt/bedding on part of the run to expose the concrete for them to lie on. It's also almost completely open into the barn, just a half-wall which is more of a fence-type thing than a wall - so lots of ventilation.

Is there a particular type of sand that would be best for this application? I may be looking at hauling in some sand this spring anyways, for horse-related uses.

4. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    I am interested in hearing if others have cement in their runs too. I asked about it but got no answers. I will be parking my chicken tractor on cement regularly and wanted to know if I should put grit or sand or something on the cement.

5. I'd get a lot of dirt, leaves, sand, and straw. They should be able to scratch to their heart's desire.

6. From the North

Jan 22, 2013
    I was also thinking I might get christmas tree mulch -- it's given away free every spring in my city. There shouldn't be any problems with that, right? Free is good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by