Concrete floor - no bedding?

msnell

Hatching
Jan 5, 2016
Central FL
Hey all!
We transformed an old dog run into a coop. It's a concrete slab, totally predator proof, 20x12, we have 22 chickens and they free range all day. I live on 2 acres and its fenced. Right now (and for the past 4 months) I haven't put down any bedding, just the concrete. My flock don't seem to mind, and since we live in central FL its rarely cold. I spray out the coop every morning, only under their roosts. Their feeder and nest boxes are also in the coop.
My question is : is bedding necessary? If they're only in there to sleep/lay? If it is necessary, what would be the most cost effective for a coop my size + the amount of chickens we have?
Thank you all in advance for any help you can give me
1f60a.png

welcome-byc.gif

With the set up you're describing, I don't see bedding as necessary. Your concrete is acting as one large poop board and as long as you can hose it off I think you should be good. If for any reason they're needing to be confined to that area, I'd look into putting some bedding down.

Yes, to donrae's post. The only thing I can think of though is it being hard on their feet and hard on them when they hop down from their roost. Is their roost low to the ground? They need cushioning for landing.

Most cost effective bedding...dry leaves from your own property. I use pine shavings, $5.00 for a big bag and I go through about 1 per month.

My birds also free range and live in a coop that is 7x18 at night in a coop with a cement floor.

Ah thanks so much. Our roost is 4 tiered, the highest being 4' off the ground. They hop down from one tier to the next until they're at the ground. So the farthest they drop is about a foot.
If we end up keeping them in there, I'd definitely use leaves from my yard, thanks for the advice @donrae @bridebeliever

Gotta wonder how spraying the floor under the roost with water will work in the long run.......
....where does the poopy water go?

Haha, valid @aart
Theres a drain runoff behind the coop that slopes downward into an area that waits to be collected for my compost. It actuakly works pretty well!
The only downside is having to spray the coop out daily. But it only takes about 5 min, so it could be worse!
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Haha, valid @aart
Theres a drain runoff behind the coop that slopes downward into an area that waits to be collected for my compost. It actuakly works pretty well!
The only downside is having to spray the coop out daily. But it only takes about 5 min, so it could be worse!
1f44d-1f3fb.png
Well, I guess it's often wet in Fla anyway....but wet and chicken manure = Big Stink.

Back
Top Bottom