Concrete Floor??

I thought about doing a concrete floor, but we couldn't decide where we wanted to place the coop in our yard, so we opted for the wood floor & covered it w/ linoleum for easy clean up. That way we could move the whole coop if we needed to. We have the coop elevated to help keep out pest.

I did think concrete would be great to keep predators out. People that have it can just powerwash it out. If you do it, just put a nice layer of bedding to help cushion chicken's feet and legs when they jump down from their roosts & nest boxes.

We have concrete and everyone seems happy. I do the deep litter method, and only clean the coop about every 4 months. My hubby built a "door" all along one side that I can flip up and hose it out when I scrub it. I guess if you live somewhere really cold it might be an issue, but it never gets below 20, and seldom anywhere near that. I love the concrete floor - it's easy to clean and I don't have to worry about things trying to dig under it to get to my chickies.
Liz

I have concrete and it seems to be just fine. It has about 3 inches of chopped straw on it. I do notice it tends hold moisture which makes the straw a little moist. I just turn it every few days, and add a little fresh every few weeks.

I'm going to be building another coop on dirt this spring/summer it will be interesting to see which I like better.

Bob

My coop is a converted dog kennel. It has a concrete floor which has an ample cover of pine shavings. I'm new to this but I did find it easy to clean out recently. Just scraped it clean with a shovel and chucked the soiled shaving into the composter with a mountain of droppings. There is an enclosure on the side, also with on the same concrete slab. It has no roof and years worth of leaf litter. It only made sense to cut a hole in the tin of the kennel and let them have a self contain scratching area. I stuck some chicken wire over the top to keep kookaburras and magpies out.

I can only say concrete is manageable and seems fine, I know not of the alternatives.

DSC00048.jpg

Back
Top Bottom