Concrete or Dirt Floor in the Coop "Which is Best?"

prettychicks

Chirping
7 Years
May 19, 2012
Louisiana
I am building a new coop. I have always had dirt floors but wonder if concrete would be healthier for the chickens since you can wash it down when needed.

Most importantly, is it healthier for the chickens as in less diseases even though you let them out during the day? There may be times they don't get let out due to inclement weather and such.

Thoughts appreciated.

I've read many different points of view on the subject. I went with a dirt floor that I keep laying down straw, this straw decomposes and I just keep piling it on. I go through a bale every couple weeks. I then scrap the floor and use it as winter mulch around my berries. It seems to me it is warmer in the winter then a cement floor would be. I also heard that if it doesn't smell bad, the good bacteria are doing their job. Not sure how true that is.

I think a cement floor would limit where your coop can be. Not to sound stupid, but it's permanent. Cement is also porous, which could lead to bacteria growing.

I think concrete also increases the risk of an injury coming off the roost unless you have really deep litter. I have dirt and added more samdy soil to make it deeper and to help keep it dry by raising it above the dirt level in the run. It is super easy to clean out with a homemade wire net that I use like a cat litter scoop. Cant see any reason to make my workload increase by having to mess with straw, shavings, etc. Plus I dont have to worry about them eating it and getting an impacted crop.

If you want to experiment, though, get a few concrete pavers and put them in a section of the coop. If you end up not liking the concrete you can just move them out to the entrance of the run or out to the yard somewhere.

Thanks for the input. My coop will be pretty permanent but sand does seem pretty logical in the summer and straw in the winter. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom