1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

concrete sand??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ufgrad98, Jun 1, 2011.

1. ufgrad98

ufgrad98 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Is this okay to use in a run? they told me it was the coarsest sand they had, but i don't know anything about sand.

2. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    I am pretty sure if it gets wet then it gets hard...I use either the play sand or washed sand.

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Any coarse sand works, the cheaper the better, drains good and chickens can pick grit out. If you're worried about the dust in it, just hose it down.

4. ohiogardener2011

ohiogardener2011 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    NO! Do NOT use loose paver sand near your chickens unless you're using it to fill cracks between concrete patio stones, hosing it down and allowing it to solidify first. Paver sand has chemicals that react with moisture to harden just like concrete. If a bird eats enough of the sand, it could potentially block its digestive system and kill the bird. You wouldn't feed your chickens powdered cement would you? This would be no different.

5. hcarlsonlewis

hcarlsonlewis Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Whitesburg, GA
    Yes-Washed concrete sand works great. I have it in my run and I love it...Easy to scoop the poop and dries very quickly after a rain. Also doesn't get too hot when it's 95 degrees outside... Girls takes dust baths in it, too..

6. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    It doesn't get hard when it gets wet. Concrete sand is just a less washed and has less 'fine' material. It is used in concrete but also as fill material. The reason it is because it is less expensive and also because it doesn't clump together allowing for better drainage. Concrete sand is simply the sand that is taken out of a sand pit and is not over processed. The size of the aggregate and the overall composition of the product will change from quarry to quarry but it is a good product to use. Spending more for sand that has a smaller aggregate or a more washed material is not giving a better product for the purpose you are using it for.

Good luck.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You wouldn't feed your chickens powdered cement would you?

The main ingredients are LIMESTONE and clay, so yes, they could eat it, although they probably wouldn't​

8. stoneeater

stoneeater Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote:There is a product that comes in a bucket that is designed to work exactly like you mention and you would be correct for this product. However I beleive the OP is asking about very coarse regular sand that is used for making concrete. The product you mention is extremely fine and would be quite expensive for making concrete.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by