Condensation Problem in Hovabator Genesis 1588 Digital Version--Fluctuating Temps

angusb

Songster
13 Years
Jul 24, 2009
I bought one of the newer Genesis 1588 incubators, the ones with a digital thermostat that also displays the temperature and humidity. I went into lockdown on Sunday, and I quickly got up to 90% humidity (I had been dry incubating, so I was running at about 28-30% for the first 18 days, and the air cells were large). The problem is that the condensation from the humidity seems to have gotten INTO the actual thermostat and display, and caused it to malfunction! I came in this morning to find that it had RESET ITSELF to 103 degrees, and the temp in the incubator was at 103. Fortunately, I have another digital hygrometer/thermometer in the incubator next to the eggs, and it keeps a record of the high and low temps for the last 24 hours, and it seems that it had not had enough time to heat up the eggs significantly, since it only reads 99 degrees.

So, the problem that remains is that the temp was stuck at 103! I couldn't lower it originally because the buttons wouldn't respond to any presses. I took off the lid and used a vacuum cleaner to suck as much moisture out of the thermostat block as possible, and then I replaced the lid, but used a pencil to prop it up slightly so that some moisture could escape. Eventually (after about 20 minutes), the buttons started responding, and I was able to lower the "Set Temp" to 100...but then it started climbing back up. After 20 more minutes, the Set Temp was back to 101.6. I really don't know what to do with this thing. I have about half the eggs in the incubator pipped right now, so I'm right in the middle of the hatch, and I don't have another incubator. I guess I'll just leave the thing propped up a bit until more of the humidity escapes, and hopefully it will stop malfunctioning. I had read some threads where a few people complained about their Genesis 1588 suddenly shooting up in temp, but nobody had ever mentioned that it might have been due to humidity. Maybe this thing needs to be sealed better to keep the humidity from getting into the inner workings and messing things up! The thing ran like a dream until this point, so I had hoped to have a stress-free hatch.

That's sucks. I'd be calling the manufacturer about this defect. Thanks for sharing this as I'm sure a lot of Hovabator people are thinking about upgrading to the new fangled digital one. In the meantime,
fl.gif
hope your hatch finishes well.

I use this incubator but have the older model I use for a hatcher. I haven't shut mine off for almost 3 months its been running constant, it runs perfect.. Never had my humidity past 40% since I use the older model for lock down, and after hearing this I'm worried they don't have the electronics sealed very well.

Did you have the red vent plug in when you up the humidity? 90% is extremely wet, but still I think they should have a good seal because its electronic and operating in humid conditions. Hope your hatch is a success.
fl.gif
jumpy.gif

Yeah, I didn't explain very well about the humidity. It reached 90% with the plug, and after I pulled it, it went down to about 78%. I still have some condensation in between the layers of the display--it was beads of water, like fog, and then when I bumped it, they all joined together into one big drop that is sandwiched between the layers. I have some more eggs coming early next week, so I guess I'll look into turning it off and drying it out, and may see if I can seal it up with a product like liquipel, or some other caulk or sealant. Two chicks out now, and others still working on it, so I things have settled down.

I am having this same problem and it is day 22, mid-hatch. I am having to unplug it every 10 minutes to drop the temp from 102 back to about 98. Not ideal.

Any news on this issue? This exact same thing has happened to me on the second day of lockdown. My set temp went to 103 and the display is stuck there--no longer cycling between set temp, actual temp and humidity. My bulb thermometer that I can see through the glass also registered 103, so the Genesis is heating to the new set temp of 103. I can only assume the same thing as the OP, that the higher humidity is mucking up the electronics. Fortunately, I have an older Genesis without the display and quickly swapped out the lids. The bulb thermometer is back to normal.

Thanks for any input.

UGCM

I'd like to know as well. Since I read about this problem I decided to use the one digital Genesis as an incubator only. I move my eggs to a regular Genesis at lockdown just in case. It's a shame to get all the way to lockdown only to have the chicks cooked. I'm surprised there hasn't been a recall of this model.

The results following my malfunction: I just completed a 30% coturnix quail hatch. I was getting 70% in the old Genesis. I checked many of the "duds" and found fully formed chicks in a bunch of them, suggesting that something happened during the lockdown. Either the higher temp cooked them, or since I moved them to the older Genesis on the spur of the moment and wasn't prepared with a spare hygrometer, the humidity was too high and they drowned. I don't think they were too dry, but it's pretty tough to get the humidity high enough, so I am skeptical of that also. On the other hand, the temp was only at 103 for an hour or so. Maybe it was a combination of the higher temp, albeit briefly, and too much humidity. I did notice that it was taking the chicks longer than usual to dry. I guess it will remain an mystery...and a disappointment.

I've got another 60 eggs arriving any day, with no time to replace the newer Genesis, so I guess I will try to find a decent hygrometer and use the old Genesis.

UGCM

Anyone have updated info from the manufacturer on this problem? Does the amount of humidity have a direct correlation to whether or not it will malfunction? Or just anything higher than x percentage? I'm getting ready to go into lockdown and am very concerned about this issue.

Okay, I am glad to see it was not just me! I just got my first incubator for and early Mother's Day gift and have never hatched before. I have the same Genesis 1588. Mine did the same thing in lockdown! Thankfully it was after all but 4 of mine had hatched. I also thought it took the chicks a long time to dry, but as I had never done this before, I thought maybe just normal. The set temp went to 103 and would not cycle through the inside temp and humidity. going to call today!

Back
Top Bottom