Confessions of a Hatching Addict

d_rooster

Songster
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
North Augusta, SC
No, I'm not looking for help or sympathy as it appears I'm too far gone now.
smile.png
All I can do at this point is share my indiscretions and sins with other like-minded individuals.
smile.png

Just less than a month ago I had grudgingly agreed, with the wife, to no more hatching eggs for the moment. Apparently, I had lost my mind and didn't know what I was thinking or saying when I agreed to her impossible suggestion.
wink.png

Unfortunately, my last incubating attempt of a dozen bantam salmon faverolles was a total wash. I suspect an extremely lengthy shipment as the primary factor in failure for that batch. Only one of the eggs developed at all and it wasn't looking too good when I candled at day 18.

So with that dissapointing incubation fresh in my mind, I decided to just peak at egg offerings on eggbid and eBay, just to see what I might be missing. Big mistake, I know that now!!! I couldn't resist these little Mille Fleur eggs because I love their feather patterning, the eggs were so reasonably priced, and no one was bidding on them. I just had to save those eggs from a no-bid situation.

When those eggs arrived earlier this week, wife questioned, "That package is marked Fragile. Are those more eggs?" Quickly, I searched my mind for a white lie. "Oh!" I said, "It must be from that nice lady on Backyard chickens forum who sends out hatching eggs as random acts of kindness." Oh what a tangled web we weave.
idunno.gif
I really don't think the misses bought this explanation. Now, I really better starting thinking up something better for the dozen dark egg layer eggs that I couldn't resist last night.

You've admitted you have a problem. That is good. The trouble with any addiction
is to stop it, you have to want to stop. Let's face it, you don't wanna stop.

So... Try groveling. "Honey I love my little chickens. They give me pleasure. I promise
to keep them out of the living room and kitchen and I'll never bring a chick to bed
with me again".

Try to find ones she will like so you can say those are her chickens. That's how I ended
up with silkies, bunnies, and more silkies in the bator. "You're hatching more chicks?" -
"Yes honey but I know how much you love silkies and that last batch didn't go so well".

Whatever you do, don't go out and buy a Sportsman bator or one that holds hundreds
of eggs. You know you will try.

Good luck...

Quote:
That seems to be working so far. She's even harping at me if I don't turn the eggs on time
smile.png
And she agreed that the old printer case with the acrylic cover would make another good incubator
cool.png
But she questioned why I would need or want another incubator until I explained that the replacement silkie eggs which will be coming to replace the frozen ones shouldn't go into the same incubator as muscovy eggs which would be 3 weeks along.
hugs.gif

I didn't tell her the "tvbator" would be empty in time to move the muscovy eggs to for hatching
wink.png

Birds of a feather flock together...I have my 3rd set in since November. My poor DH....he just rolls his eyes, and walks away. He did make a comment..." I wish spring would get here so I could get started on that bigger coop" Woohoo!! he is HOOKED!!

Confess, tell her how much you love her, hugs and kisses...then tell her you will try to resist any more temptations
wink.png

I confessed to my mother and my g/f. I tired to stop but I cant. It controls me. it drives me to do crazy things "like on day 2 when I was hearing peeps and looking for a moving egg" I am sorry but I cant help it. There are no meetings for hatachaholics. Then I break down and cry

Back
Top Bottom