Confessions of a Hatching Addict

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by d_rooster, Feb 13, 2008.

1. d_rooster

d_rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    North Augusta, SC
    No, I'm not looking for help or sympathy as it appears I'm too far gone now. [​IMG] All I can do at this point is share my indiscretions and sins with other like-minded individuals. [​IMG]

Just less than a month ago I had grudgingly agreed, with the wife, to no more hatching eggs for the moment. Apparently, I had lost my mind and didn't know what I was thinking or saying when I agreed to her impossible suggestion. [​IMG]

Unfortunately, my last incubating attempt of a dozen bantam salmon faverolles was a total wash. I suspect an extremely lengthy shipment as the primary factor in failure for that batch. Only one of the eggs developed at all and it wasn't looking too good when I candled at day 18.

So with that dissapointing incubation fresh in my mind, I decided to just peak at egg offerings on eggbid and eBay, just to see what I might be missing. Big mistake, I know that now!!! I couldn't resist these little Mille Fleur eggs because I love their feather patterning, the eggs were so reasonably priced, and no one was bidding on them. I just had to save those eggs from a no-bid situation.

When those eggs arrived earlier this week, wife questioned, "That package is marked Fragile. Are those more eggs?" Quickly, I searched my mind for a white lie. "Oh!" I said, "It must be from that nice lady on Backyard chickens forum who sends out hatching eggs as random acts of kindness." Oh what a tangled web we weave. [​IMG] I really don't think the misses bought this explanation. Now, I really better starting thinking up something better for the dozen dark egg layer eggs that I couldn't resist last night.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    [​IMG] [​IMG]...

3. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    wow!
    you've got it baaaaad.
    [​IMG]

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    You've admitted you have a problem. That is good. The trouble with any addiction
    is to stop it, you have to want to stop. Let's face it, you don't wanna stop.

So... Try groveling. "Honey I love my little chickens. They give me pleasure. I promise
    to keep them out of the living room and kitchen and I'll never bring a chick to bed
    with me again".

Try to find ones she will like so you can say those are her chickens. That's how I ended
    up with silkies, bunnies, and more silkies in the bator. "You're hatching more chicks?" -
    "Yes honey but I know how much you love silkies and that last batch didn't go so well".

Whatever you do, don't go out and buy a Sportsman bator or one that holds hundreds
    of eggs. You know you will try.

Good luck...

5. hart31

hart31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Bowbells, ND
    Quote:That seems to be working so far. She's even harping at me if I don't turn the eggs on time [​IMG] And she agreed that the old printer case with the acrylic cover would make another good incubator [​IMG] But she questioned why I would need or want another incubator until I explained that the replacement silkie eggs which will be coming to replace the frozen ones shouldn't go into the same incubator as muscovy eggs which would be 3 weeks along. [​IMG]

I didn't tell her the "tvbator" would be empty in time to move the muscovy eggs to for hatching [​IMG]

6. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    Finally, there's somebody else out there like me.

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Birds of a feather flock together...I have my 3rd set in since November. My poor DH....he just rolls his eyes, and walks away. He did make a comment..." I wish spring would get here so I could get started on that bigger coop" Woohoo!! he is HOOKED!!

8. bamagirl68

bamagirl68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    central alabama
    Tell her to just be happy it's a chicken addiction![​IMG] It could be ALOT worse!

9. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    Confess, tell her how much you love her, hugs and kisses...then tell her you will try to resist any more temptations [​IMG]

10. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I confessed to my mother and my g/f. I tired to stop but I cant. It controls me. it drives me to do crazy things "like on day 2 when I was hearing peeps and looking for a moving egg" I am sorry but I cant help it. There are no meetings for hatachaholics. Then I break down and cry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by