Confirm my breed suspicions?

ShayBaby

Songster
10 Years
Mar 4, 2013
Lucasville, OH
I acquired these 3 hens yesterday from someone whose pen kept getting raided by predators and I guess these were the only 3 to make it. I have no clue where he got them or how old they are. They have significant damage to their back feathers, that I suspect is from a rambunctious rooster rather than predator, but they're solid colored, so it shouldn't affect guessing their breeds.
All 3 girls are rather large. Every bit as big as my Brahma and big EE roos, and slightly bigger than my biggest (EE, BR..) hens.

#1. White Rock? Solid white. Yellow legs. Pointy, upright tail. Fairly large, red comb (single). Chesty. Pretty...manly..in appearance. Wasn't too hard getting pics of this gal..she loves posing for the camera.

#2. Black Australorp? Black JG? Solid black with green sheen. Bright red comb (single). Big tail held very upright (this seems to be more of a JG thing?). Black/slate grey legs. I haven't checked close enough yet to see if the feet soles/under-leg color is white or yellow.

4. Production Red? Red with black in tail. Yellow legs. Big, red comb (single). Hard to get pics of this gal, especially of her face.

Last edited:
white one looks like white leghorn or white rock most likely if larger.
Red one is red sexlink or production red.
Black could a Black sexlink or black australorp.

Last edited:
I think the white hen is a Rock
The black hen--I'm not sure what has that upright a tail set? Probably just a funky hatchery Australorp...
Red bird is a production red.

You're correct, their condition is due to rooster damage, not predators. I see you have several roosters already quite interested in them!

white one looks like white leghorn or white rock most likely if larger.
Red one is red sexlink or production red.
Black could a Black sexlink or black australorp.

The white seems a little stocky to be a leghorn, and her comb is a bit small.
I think most RSL have white in the rear end? Which is why I thought Production.
The black doesn't have any gold tint in it like most BSL hens.

I think the white hen is  a Rock
The black hen--I'm not sure what has that upright a tail set? Probably just a funky hatchery Australorp...
Red bird is a production red. 

You're correct, their condition is due to rooster damage, not predators. I see you have several roosters already quite interested in them!

The black's tail is rather peculiar. I don't think I've seen anyone carry their tail so high outside of Sebrights and Seramas. Maybe she's just proud of it. :lol:
Oh buddy yeah, the dozen or so roosters were rubber-neckin' and eyeballin' those gals up and down LOL. I don't have a problem here with bare backs on the ladies, so it was kind of shocking seeing these poor things. They're in quarantine now anyways, but I'm going to buy them saddles so they can feather back out nicely.

Thank you both for your responses!

The black's tail is rather peculiar. I don't think I've seen anyone carry their tail so high outside of Sebrights and Seramas. Maybe she's just proud of it.
lol.png

Oh buddy yeah, the dozen or so roosters were rubber-neckin' and eyeballin' those gals up and down LOL. I don't have a problem here with bare backs on the ladies, so it was kind of shocking seeing these poor things. They're in quarantine now anyways, but I'm going to buy them saddles so they can feather back out nicely.

I was totally thinking Serama, too! I mean, she's like a hundred times too big, but that's exactly what that tail set reminded me of. How funny.

The white bird is a White Plymouth Rock.
The black bird is probably a hatchery-quality Black Australorp.
The red bird is a Production Red/hatchery-quality Rhode Island Red

The black's tail is rather peculiar. I don't think I've seen anyone carry their tail so high outside of Sebrights and Seramas. Maybe she's just proud of it. :lol:

I was totally thinking Serama, too! I mean, she's like a hundred times too big, but that's exactly what that tail set reminded me of. How funny.

Great minds think alike, of course. ;) Hmm..Giant Seramas..wonder how well those would take off..:lol:.

Thanks again, everyone, for confirming my suspicions. Until (if ever) I can afford proper DNA testing (for funsies), they shall be known as WR, Australorp and Pro. Red. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom