Confirm these Marans are roos please! *Updated Pictures*

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Ok this first one is a bit obvious. We are keeping him and have decided to call him Mr. Bojangles.

532809621_82RX6-M.jpg

But I don't understand why he is 10x more roo-ish than the other three..look:

532810258_oc6ty-M.jpg

532811560_Gxi9r-M.jpg

(Excuse the fact that those two look so pathetic, they were freaked out to be out with the big chickens and perched on a chair.)

Here's the last one, he has beautifully feathered legs. Way more than the other three. He refused to hold still for a picture.

532810900_Qx9X8-M.jpg

Isn't it odd how Mr. Bojangles has a huge, huge comb? He has a long tail too. They are all about 9 weeks old now. (I think, I've lost track of time!)

Last edited:
Yes not counting Bojangles.
I think number 1 really looks pullet-ish to me. It's the body shape and look of her head I think...

Number 2 has the same thing going on but is a little less feminine looking.

Number 3 I can't tell...

How about pics of them standing up so we can see their legs?

The second pic looks more like a pullet to me as well. I have 6- three roos and three pullets. My pullets are a bit darker than yours but my 3 roos all have well-developed combs like Mr. Bojangles.

I tend to agree with the others. As they were maturing - did you notice who feathered out quicker? Roos tend to be slow feathering on the shoulders. Hens feather out quicker and get tails faster. I am in the same boat you are with my Marans as the color thing did not really work for me. The feather sexing has been accurate.

Back
Top Bottom