1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Confirmation on EE genders

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shmccarthy, Sep 15, 2013.

1. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I've been practicing sexing EEs and I would like confirmation on the genders I think they are. They are 7.5 weeks old and I hatched them myself. :)
    I would like to put them up for sale soon
    [​IMG]
    I'm 100% sure this one is a boy. He is an EExBR cross and he has already crowed a few times.
    [​IMG]
    I'm thinking these two are both pullets. I know the one that's more partridge colored is female coloring so I am 99% sure she is a girl.
    [​IMG]
    The mostly tan one I am also thinking is a girl. So far it's pretty female coloring and I know to look for red on the shoulders. The only one that has any comb development is the barred one. The others do not have any comb development.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    They look like pullets :)

3. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Thanks, I really hope so!!

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Really hard to tell with the photos you've given. Since the easiest way to sex EEs is by color, a side shot or even a shot from above showing the shoulders would help. From the photos you've supplied, though--yes, they look like pullets.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X3 on they both look like pullets so far from the combs in the pictures given, you might want to get better pictures of the back/side color on the lightest one in a couple of weeks to double check.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The two brown ones are pullets for sure, as that coloring is typical of EE pullets, and the combs are not developed. Your barred EE could be a pullet, but I'm going with cockerel for now because of the comb redness. They're all adorable!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Better pics would be good. I can't even really tell the barred bird is a roo from the pics. Going off what I can see, I'm thinking pullets, but profile shots would be good for confirmation.

8. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    He had a bright red comb at 2 weeks and started crowing a few days ago
    I can get better pictures when I get home but this is his head
    [​IMG]
    This was from 2 weeks ago

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If he's crowing and has such a red comb, then he's definitely a cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by