Confirming Breed

crazi4chix

In the Brooder
May 8, 2015
Hello BYC - we are new to the world of chickens, and are raising our first 15 pullets in a large tank right now. Husband is putting finishing touches on palatial coop which will be ready in a day or two.

Quick question about our chicks: We chose a wide variety of breeds that my 11 year old son researched (he is the chicken nut), and two are Buff O's. They were perfect and pale little fluffball chicks, but now, at 5 weeks old or so, they are mostly white with many black accents and a thick row of feathers going down one leg.

My son is wondering if we ended up with Buff Brahmas instead. Or - is this a normal transitional stage of the BUff O?

Thanks - we are loving it so far.

Hello BYC - we are new to the world of chickens, and are raising our first 15 pullets in a large tank right now. Husband is putting finishing touches on palatial coop which will be ready in a day or two.

Quick question about our chicks: We chose a wide variety of breeds that my 11 year old son researched (he is the chicken nut), and two are Buff O's. They were perfect and pale little fluffball chicks, but now, at 5 weeks old or so, they are mostly white with many black accents and a thick row of feathers going down one leg.

My son is wondering if we ended up with Buff Brahmas instead. Or - is this a normal transitional stage of the BUff O?

Thanks - we are loving it so far.

Definitely not Buff Orpington traits.
A photo would help, but if they are Brahma the white/black would be Light Brahma rather than Buff Brahma, which are buff color with black markings.

Last edited:
Ha! Well, my 11 year old just solved the mystery I think. I suggested they are probably Light Brahma chicks, and he said "Yep, that was the other name on the label for their tank at the store. The store helper said the lighter chicks were the Buff O's, but apparently not". I tried to upload a photo, but says .jpg not supported. Odd.

Luke assures me Light Brahmas are very nice (and Beautiful) chickens, he is just disgruntled about the white eggs.

Oh well :)

And, of course they have feathers running down both legs (feet), not just one as I said in my first post.

Ha! Well, my 11 year old just solved the mystery I think. I suggested they are probably Light Brahma chicks, and he said "Yep, that was the other name on the label for their tank at the store. The store helper said the lighter chicks were the Buff O's, but apparently not". I tried to upload a photo, but says .jpg not supported. Odd.

Luke assures me Light Brahmas are very nice (and Beautiful) chickens, he is just disgruntled about the white eggs.

Oh well :)

And, of course they have feathers running down both legs (feet), not just one as I said in my first post.

What white eggs? Neither BO or LB lay white eggs.

Oh great! He'll be happy to hear this. He knows BO's lay brown eggs, but he obviously thought LB's laid white.

Thank you.

The Light Brahmas and Buff Orpingtons in our flock lay eggs that are nearly identical in color (a nice cream). Our Brahmas are super sweet girls.

Another quick question for you friendly and experienced chicken people: We have two Ameraucana pullets, one fat red girl with pretty feathers (about 5 weeks), and another darker girl who has molted all of her back feathers. Her tail also sticks up at a sharp angle (looks quite different). The darker chick was apparently pecked by her sisters as we found an open wound on her bare back today. Quickly went to the feed store to buy Pick-No-More and have been applying it regularly. All normal? She is our only chick with exposed skin and I am a bit concerned.

Also - unrelated question. At what age will they typically start to roost? All different?

Thanks! So appreciate your great answers.

The Barred Rock Conundrum: Hello BYC - we have 15, 7 week old chicks, 3 of which are supposed to be BR, and two Cuckoo Maran. At this age they all look strikingly similar, but one girl has smudged barring and flesh colored feet (the others have yellow feet). Any ideas? Do we perhaps have 4 BR and only one CM? I have heard that Marans have the lighter feet. Thanks!
Ms.Pale Legs
Yellow feet of other BR type
side by side for leg comparison

Back
Top Bottom