Conflict in the flock

I think Aart hit it with the chicks. She's weaning them and running them away from her. She's not trying to hurt them, probably just letting them now they are now on their own.

So you recently added a new EE. I don't now what kind of integration process you went through, but there can be conflict when you integrate. That might explain a lot of it.

Typically this type of brutality to others is associated with over-crowding, not sure how much room you have. But it may be more to do with integration that crowding. I can't tell.

Have had broodies wean chicks at 4 weeks, not unusual, but it can be disturbing to observe.
They just need to figure out how to navigate the pecking order, lots of space and 'hiding' places will help.
Ok that’s good to know also. Gosh that seems young! My BO stays with them for so much longer. It I keep this chicken I’ll have to make some baby hiding spots. Thanks once again for your help!

Always solve for peace in the flock. I think you might need to remove 1 or 2 birds from your flock. If isolating that one bird, restored harmony to your flock, I would sell that bird. Now as your 4 chicks become full size, tension might rise again.

Chicken raising is really not about keeping every bird you get. It is more about creating a flock of birds that get along and fit in the establishment you have. You can start by basing your set up on 4 square feet per bird in the coop. But in the end, you need to have a peaceful flock. Sometimes there are birds that just do not work with this flock or with this set up.

Mrs K
Always solve for peace in the flock. I think you might need to remove 1 or 2 birds from your flock. If isolating that one bird, restored harmony to your flock, I would sell that bird. Now as your 4 chicks become full size, tension might rise again.

Chicken raising is really not about keeping every bird you get. It is more about creating a flock of birds that get along and fit in the establishment you have. You can start by basing your set up on 4 square feet per bird in the coop. But in the end, you need to have a peaceful flock. Sometimes there are birds that just do not work with this flock or with this set up.

Mrs K
This is very helpful thank you. I feel terrible when they fight. No one deserves to live like that. So I’ll try to put her back with the flock in a couple days but if she still is aggressive I will look into selling her. Thanks again

Ok that’s good to know also. Gosh that seems young! My BO stays with them for so much longer. It I keep this chicken I’ll have to make some baby hiding spots. Thanks once again for your help!
remember each chicken is going to be different, no matter they were raised together even. U have had pullets make bette brooders than moms, broodies it's a guessign game but when she feels they are ready she will wean em, i have has some that will ween at 2-3 weeks as long as theres no changes in the flock while others have stayed with their babies for 3-4 months because she decided to brood where she hatched out just before the brutal Idaho winter hit.

I think Aart hit it with the chicks. She's weaning them and running them away from her. She's not trying to hurt them, probably just letting them now they are now on their own.

So you recently added a new EE. I don't now what kind of integration process you went through, but there can be conflict when you integrate. That might explain a lot of it.

Typically this type of brutality to others is associated with over-crowding, not sure how much room you have. But it may be more to do with integration that crowding. I can't tell.
Well possibly but I did take a lot of precautions when integrating. I do wish I hadn’t taken this EE in since everything was great before that but at this point she’s even turning on her sister who she never was aggressive with before. She is a new mom so I will cut her some slack there. I really don't think It’s due to overcrowding. The pen is 20x12 which is 240 square feet unless I’m calculating wrong. I only have 7 hens! Ok with the new babies it’ll be 11 but she started this when there was 7. And they have cool roosts and logs and a compost bin and a big plant and blinds and on top of that they are usually out in my big yard.

Well possibly but I did take a lot of precautions when integrating. I do wish I hadn’t taken this EE in since everything was great before that but at this point she’s even turning on her sister who she never was aggressive with before. She is a new mom so I will cut her some slack there. I really don't think It’s due to overcrowding. The pen is 20x12 which is 240 square feet unless I’m calculating wrong. I only have 7 hens! Ok with the new babies it’ll be 11 but she started this when there was 7. And they have cool roosts and logs and a compost bin and a big plant and blinds and on top of that they are usually out in my big yard.
a broody raised that has had the chicks out with the flock knows when they are ready and safe, but then again my hen took em out free ranging with her as soon as she was off the nest that may be the difference there, once she weens see if she settles down, I have one broody that terrified the flock and as soon as she weened things went back to normal behavior , but even the rooster would hide when she had chicks.

That's great!
How big is the coop?

Here's some ideas for 'hiding' places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
Ok the coop I do have some problems.... maybe I should take a picture. My wonderful husband made it and he’s a chicken novice and didn’t really listen to what I wanted. Not that I’m blaming him. He was trying to use the materials we had on hand. It’s 5x4 raised off the ground and has a 5 foot roost on the top. There’s another roost down a foot but none of the chickens want to use that. Has 4 nest boxes. I’m not sure how to fix the coop issue :-|

Attachments

• 33A87A32-F1EF-484F-AB54-D5A142DBA938.jpeg
    33A87A32-F1EF-484F-AB54-D5A142DBA938.jpeg
    476.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
a broody raised that has had the chicks out with the flock knows when they are ready and safe, but then again my hen took em out free ranging with her as soon as she was off the nest that may be the difference there, once she weens see if she settles down, I have one broody that terrified the flock and as soon as she weened things went back to normal behavior , but even the rooster would hide when she had chicks.
I’ll try to see if she settles down. Mine were raised with the flock also But the only other broody I’ve had is an BO and she is just the best and nicest mom. She’s very fair to the other hens. She will let them know who’s boss and to not even think about looking at her babies but never terrorizes anyone like this white chicken. Maybe you’re right and she is just over the top right now.

Back
Top Bottom