Conflict within Daphne’s flock - need ideas!

Pics

Daphne_loves_mealworms

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 13, 2018
Vermont
My current flock of three has been together for 2 and 1/2 years. Daphne (Rouen hen) is one of the first ducks that came into my life 3 years ago. My two Muscovy hens came later after Daphne’s friend Margie the Pekin passed away. Daphne is now 5 years old. Her “sisters” are now 2 and 1/2. They have been a good happy flock with momentary moments of conflict arising due to hormones, molting, or boredom. However, there’s been a recent shift in the hierarchy, and Daphne is now solidly at the bottom! I fear this could become an unsafe situation based off of my observations as of late. Daphne seems more fragile, and I think her sisters know it. In the world of fowl, it seems any weakness is an invitation for attack.

What do I do? I’m attached to everyone at this point, but something needs to change. Do I

1) Provide Daphne with her own safe place to stay in alone in times of danger? Problem: she would be alone, and it seems like it’s punishing her for something that’s not her fault.

2) Find Daphne a new Mallard-derived friend? This risks a new hen becoming a victim too. Also, there’s the usual health risks to adding someone new. Also, hens are harder to find.

3) Ditch the ‘Scovies AND find Daphne newMallard-derived friends? I’m attached to the ‘Scovy girls too, and I don’t want them to become meat.

4) Give Daphne away? She’s fragile and has ongoing reproductive issues that require veterinary care.

5) ?

Please help with any ideas you might have. I really hate to see Daphne in this situation! :hit

I think ducks killing each other is not supper common, they may be picking on her but is she sustaining Injuries? If it were me i would let the pecking order sort out and only interfere if someone got hurt.

None of the options you listed are good. Adding new ducks will still require the dominance fighting your seeing. Pulling her away from the flock will restart the process. Your one hope is if they can still see each other. But ducks are social and she would rather be picked on then alone.

I understand how stressful it can be when your flock isn't playing nice. I thought my flock would always be friends, but my flock dynamic has also changed over the years. My duck, Thimbleberry, who is in the middle of the hierarchy, can be very mean to Nettle, who is at the bottom. Nettle isn't a medically fragile duck, but it is still upsetting to me. Since, with my ducks, the bullying was mostly regarding resources I put extra food bowls and water buckets out. When Thimbleberry pecks at Nettle she can just go to another water bucket.

Both options 3 and 4 would feel unacceptable to me, if they were my pets. I doubt you could find someone to care for Daphne's medical conditions like you do, and unfortunately whenever we rehome a duck there is the possibility of it becoming dinner.

Option 1 doesn't seem best, because then Daphne would have to be alone. Unless the bullying happens only on Friday night from 5-6 and you could separate her for that window. Ducks just really need ducks, right?

Option 2 could work. There is no guarantee that the mallard hen wouldn't be a bully. Also, like you mentioned the new hen could introduce parasites or disease. It still may be the kindest option for Daphne, just not guaranteed to work.

For option 5 what about separating Daphne and the scovies but letting them still see each other? Like the look but no touch method for introducing ducks?

Hopefully other members will have other ideas soon! I'll spend more time thinking about it today.

the scovies might be bullying daphne because she's not one of them. scovies dont speak the same language as mallards, even when they were getting along daphne was still kind of on the outs in that way.

I'd try to find daphne a friend and let just the two of them get to know each other, if you've got the space for two separate pairs. Once daphne and the new girl are friendly you can try reintroducing the scovy pair and they might just get on civilly ignoring each other because then they'll each have one of their own people

I have a similar situation. I have 1 mallard duck and 1 drake, 2 muscovie ducks and 1 drake and 1 pekin drake. my muscovie ducks from time to time try to kill my mallard duck. yesterday it happened near water so I assume these fights are over water. mallards might stay in water for hours and there is room for 1 duck at a time. I am thinking to get another water container.

I have a similar situation. I have 1 mallard duck and 1 drake, 2 muscovie ducks and 1 drake and 1 pekin drake. my muscovie ducks from time to time try to kill my mallard duck. yesterday it happened near water so I assume these fights are over water. mallards might stay in water for hours and there is room for 1 duck at a time. I am thinking to get another water container.
@chickengr it sounds like you have a 1:1 duck hen/drake ratio? It varies by individual flock, but we recommend more duck hens per drake to reduce the mating attention each duck hen receives. Ducks can be seriously injured or killed by overmating.

However, just regular mating, even female ducks mating together, can look agressive when it is not. I have an all female flock. When mating the duck on top holds on to the other duck's neck and sometimes pushed her head under water. The duck on top isn't trying to drown the duck on bottom, this is just the mechanics of how duck mating works.

I'm not saying this is what is happening with your flock, just an idea.

As @KaleIAm suggested, I'd think about separating Daphne but letting them all still see each other. Alternatively, I'd just keep a close eye on it. We have six ducks (five hens and one drake), and they re-adjust their pecking order several times a year it seems. Granted, we have more ducks to spread out the pecking part of pecking order, but they generally work it out.

@chickengr it sounds like you have a 1:1 duck hen/drake ratio? It varies by individual flock, but we recommend more duck hens per drake to reduce the mating attention each duck hen receives. Ducks can be seriously injured or killed by overmating.

However, just regular mating, even female ducks mating together, can look agressive when it is not. I have an all female flock. When mating the duck on top holds on to the other duck's neck and sometimes pushed her head under water. The duck on top isn't trying to drown the duck on bottom, this is just the mechanics of how duck mating works.

I'm not saying this is what is happening with your flock, just an idea.

I rescued these ducks and don't have room to take more. if I don't move to my new place (where I can have more ducks) when breeding season starts I will separate them.

my muscovies and a pekin drake for some reason hate my mallards. both pekin and muscovie drakes are solid white and they never fight - so far. they behave like twin brothers, lol.

I rescued these ducks and don't have room to take more. if I don't move to my new place (where I can have more ducks) when breeding season starts I will separate them.

my muscovies and a pekin drake for some reason hate my mallards. both pekin and muscovie drakes are solid white and they never fight - so far. they behave like twin brothers, lol.
Breeding season has already started here (it ended in early September). ;-)

Back
Top Bottom