Conflicting information.

O'Henry Farms

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 29, 2010
Grassy Creek, NC
So after 2 failed hatches (only 1 lonely chick from my last one) I am crossing my t's and dotting my i's. I will die if my Easter hatch turns out poorly. I read that people have better hatches if the eggs are put in lockdown in cartons. Is this the general consensus? I have always laid them down. My very first hatch went well and my babies from that hatch have thrived. Since then my hatching has gone to pot! Anyhow I just wanted to know 100% for sure what I should do. Thank you all! I'd truly be lost without this community!

Never used cartons, had fine hatches. I think temp and humidity play are larger role than what they are hatching in.

Last edited:
Up until this last hatch, I had always just laid the eggs on their sides in the incubator. This time I decided to try the cartons and it didn't go so well. Not sure it was the cartons or whether something else went wrong, but up until this point I have always had very good hatches. This time, not so much.

This next time, I will be leaving the cartons out of the situation as well. It really didn't even help clean up...
idunno.gif

Yes, it's the temps and humidity that makes poor hatches, other factors to consider but those are the two biggest ones. I have never used cartons, my hatch rates are just fine, sometimes 100%.

I don't think the cartons would be the major factor in successful hatching. I use them because I use a Brinsea Oct 20, and it's not that large - I like to keep the hatched chicks from kicking the unhatched eggs around. I think that successful hatch rates have more to do with the, already mentioned, heat, humidity, quality of hatching eggs, etc., than whether you're using cartons at hatch time.

Back
Top Bottom