Confused about bedding in henhouse vs. covered run

Cedar mulch outdoors in a run isn't going to do any harm.

You may have to try a few different ways before you settle on what works best for you. It is even possible you may want to use different materials at different time of the year. Don't be afraid to experiment as long as you are prepared to keep a close eye on things and change it all out if signs develop of problems
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Like you we use shavings in the coop and the outside soil is sandy loam. Even with a covered run you will have days when it rains sideways! If I had to fill from scratch I'd use sand, making sure the slope is correct, and add snow boards for the really severe weather from Dec-March.

Pacific Northwest here as well...bark is my run cover of choice cos of the type of weather we get here.

My outside run has dirt, then a layer of lime and sand, then DE and then wood bark, medium. Drains great...no muddy spots, andthey love it. I also threw a bunch of their grit out there too... they seem to like it fromt eh ground rather than the cup. Strainge birds. I have oyster shell inside coop...but I had soo much extra I threw some outside in the run as well.

So its very nice draining!

Back
Top Bottom