Confused About Keeping Roo

I would keep him and at least give him a chance. I love my roo, he is a buff orpington, I got him at a year old and he has never even thought of being mean. The reason the person gave him to me is she has to many roos and they were fighting. Good luck.

Like sixinva, I base a keeper roo on how he treats the girls and how he treats the humans who he comes in contact with. So I would wait and watch. He may end up being one of the wonderful roosters many folks rave about, gentle with the ladies and respectful of the true boss - YOU.

Brahmas can be one cute cuddly rooster too... they have always been sweet for me, we had lights, darks, and buffs. If he does try anything, a swift kick the first time usually keeps you on top of the pecking order!
lol.png

It depends on breed - and individual roo on aggressiveness vs. passiveness towards humans also just simple interaction. A brahma roo tends to be very laid back and brahmas in general are very good friendly chickens - roos included. Game roos, leghorns, ect seem to be more prone to being flighty and aggressive to other roos and people. A roo thats been used to people all his life and handled alot is less likely to be aggressive (but doesn't mean that he wont be - there comes the individual) My neighbor has a roo we dubbed Black Jack giant roo thats a BrahmaXJersey Giant (we think - 12 lb roo) and he has never been handled but he comes up to us, and my 5 yr old chases him all around and can catch him, and him and his 1.5" spurs never touch her. Though he loves to come over and harass my 3 lb silkie roo (who holds his own again 12 lb Black Jack - lol)
Banty roos definately seem to be more aggressive, just like little dogs - have to have a big attitude to make up for their little size least thats my look on it - lol.

I say give a rooster a chance, and keep interacting with him and giving him treats.

I had a brown leghorn roo that adored my DD and would let her catch him, pet him, harass his girls everything...but that rooster HATED ME! If I harassed his females (say disturbed one from laying or sitting - and she made a fuss ) I had to turn around and bat him with my foot cause he was coming to get my ankles - lol. but I wouldn't get rid of him because he was AMAZING with my DD - he just had a thing against me personally - lol. I couldn't fault him for that and a good child friendly leghorn is something I've seldom heard about.
wink.png

If he's a well-mannered rooster, I'd say give him a chance.

We weren't supposed to get a rooster (though they are allowed). We didn't want a rooster. By the time we found out what he was (at four months, we were already too attached to him to give him back. Now, he crows all the time, wakes us up at unholy hours, makes a general mess of the run, occasionally flogs me and needs to be schooled, and will go 50 yards out of his way to attack my husband, who has apparently given him good reason to hate him. He's not even the top of the pecking order! What good is this bird?

Well, he's the first one who will come over to me and wait for a back rub. He's one of the only ones who will sit on our laps and relax while we pet him. He's got such personality, and he's absolutely gorgeous! But more importantly, one night when my child left the door to the coop open, and something tried to get in there, he crowed like mad and chased whatever it was off. He saved the lives of his girls, and for that, he earned a lifetime membership to this household. (Husband's not too pleased about that, but he has given up arguing.)

Whenever they free-range, he keeps them all in sight, and herds them together when they get too far apart. Being a Polish, it's not always easy for him to see them all.
smile.png
But if one manages to stray too far and makes some noise, he crows. And if she still doesn't come back, he starts making urgent little noises and runs to where she is and leads her to the others. It's absolutely endearing.

Quote:
^This is what I was going to say.^
thumbsup.gif

I love watching my roo call the girls over for a snack and not keep any for himself! The best roo I had was a wonderful baby-sitter... if I had a hen with babies, that is where he would be, calling the babies when he found something. He lost his life protecting his family... found two huge piles of feather and a trail of feathers going across the yard and road and into the corn field... he went out fighting, protecting his family! I would guess a coyote. His name was Nugget... he was a great roo! My roo now is Miracle (he started his life @ 1 day old with a broken leg)... beautiful bird and great husband and father!

That said... many a roo has gone to the sale barn because he was a bully to the hens and/or me.

ps: If I get a vote, I say keep him... I don't think you will regret it.

I THANK EVERYONE for there input-I could quote so many answers - everyone is so helpful - for the record (le neige homme) I do not hate roosters this is my first one-I wasnt supposed to get one in the mix-I had done alot of reading before posting my question and was I think more afraid of being attacked or something and not being able to get near my girls anymore and I value my time with them everday-they give me so much pleasure and they are just a little spoiled
wink.png
Of course he's been spoiled to and continues to be so he gets his attention and backrubs like everyone else-in fact today when I brought out all the girls there watermelon he tried to come out more to see what was going on I put a special bowl for him by the opening of the coop but hes still a little skidish to stay out so I figure some daily coxing and spending a little more quality time in the run everything hopefully will work out-he is beautiful and seems like such a baby!!! I can't thank everyone enough for telling me about there roos and I'm so sorry about the lose of the brave one protecting his flock my heart goes out to you
hugs.gif
Thanks again and always I so glad I found this forum
frow.gif
(Gotta go let the girls know theres a new boy in town-lol!!!)

Back
Top Bottom