Confused About Lentils!

Apr 30, 2018
Tooele, UT
There is an article on this site (Chicken Treat Chart - The Best Treats for Backyard Chickens) that is very comprehensive but in reading the list, it states that Lentils are a "No No". However, on a package of Garden Delight Poultry Treat from MannaPro, the second ingredient in this treat is dried Lentils. I really didn't know about the lentils in the MannaPro treat until I reviewed the list from this site.

So, why would MannaPro put lentils in their product if it is a "No No" from the list on this site? Are lentils safe or not...? I don't understand.

Does anyone have the answer?

There is an article on this site (Chicken Treat Chart - The Best Treats for Backyard Chickens) that is very comprehensive but in reading the list, it states that Lentils are a "No No". However, on a package of Garden Delight Poultry Treat from MannaPro, the second ingredient in this treat is dried Lentils. I really didn't know about the lentils in the MannaPro treat until I reviewed the list from this site.

So, why would MannaPro put lentils in their product if it is a "No No" from the list on this site? Are lentils safe or not...? I don't understand.

I might be wrong, but I always thought that beans (and lentils?) Weren't safe for birds unless cooked first.

Myself, I have fed my own birds LARGE amounts of cooked beans in the past to cut down on feed bill. Nobody died...:idunno

Dry lentils are safe, cooked beans are safe.
The problem lies with dry red kidney beans, they're not safe so a haze of "no beans EVER!" got born.
All beans/legumes are slightly toxic, soaking removes it. Kidney beans are more so. Flat legumes like lentils have a miniscule amount and so are considered safe both dried and cooked. :)

Dry lentils are safe, cooked beans are safe.
The problem lies with dry red kidney beans, they're not safe so a haze of "no beans EVER!" got born.
All beans/legumes are slightly toxic, soaking removes it. Kidney beans are more so. Flat legumes like lentils have a miniscule amount and so are considered safe both dried and cooked. :)
Thank you so much for the clarification and the other information you provided...I greatly appreciate it!

Not really, but if you were to feed them to anything including yourself they would have to be soaked until sprouting.
This doesnt include the red kidney beans, they're the exception sprouting won't remove enough. :)
Hey there again,

So the lentils in MannaPros Garden Delight Poultry Snacks are dried lentils which are mixed in with a lot of other grains and seeds...the directions do not indicate to soak the product before giving out...just simply to feed 1/2 to 2 TBSP of Garden Delight per bird daily depending upon their size. Then goes on to say to always provide a source of natural stones or free choice access to grit which I have done and always will do. My question then is, in your opinion, should I find another grains and seeds treat that does not have legumes/beans in it?

Your help is greatly appreciated...:)

Back
Top Bottom