Confused about rooster spurs/trimming

stilldeb

Songster
9 Years
May 28, 2010
NW Kentucky
I have a little rooster (Cochin frizzle) that, even though he is nearly 2 yrs old, never really grew and never learned to "perch" with his feet. He has always slept in a nesting box and we give him solid blocks to get up on in his run so he can be "large and in charge" because he can't get on the outdoor perches either, no matter how low they are. He has always been like this, even before he had any kind of spurs of any size.

Now he has some enormous spurs, completely out of proportion for his teeny little self, and they curl all the way up around and almost past his leg. They do not puncture his leg and do not hurt his ladies because they are almost completely circular. They probably bother me more than him. Is there something I should do about them?

I have read various posts, some say they will eventually fall off (some breeds) some have said pull them off (I could never do that) or just to trim them with dog clippers.

Do they shed these spurs or should they be trimmed or something?

Deb G
KY

Not sure on the shedding spurs thing but you could trim them. Just don't trim too much off of they will bleed. Kind of like trimming a dog's nails. If they do bleed throw flour on it.

Thanks, I'll try trimming them a bit. I wouldn't want to do anything to hurt him, and have no idea how long the quicks are, so guess I'll try a little at a time. Thanks for the flour idea. I'm mainly kind of worried about him getting them caught on something now that they are like complete circles on the backs of his legs, so they probably do need trimming.

Deb G.

Back
Top Bottom