Confused about roosting bars

Dukes7779

Chirping
Apr 15, 2019
Northern NY
Hello,
I am finishing up my coop and just need to put in roosting bars. However, I've become a bit confused about the configuration. I will be using 2x4 wood with the wide side up as I am in Upstate NY and want their feet to be covered in winter when they roost. I have five breeds - 2 leghorns, 2 brahmas, 2 easter Eggers, 3 Rhode Island reds and 9 silkies. My confusion is this: I have read that the roosting bars should be all the same level to prevent fighting but I thought that they like different levels of roosts and the birds at the top of the pecking order like the top roosts. So is it better for them to be the same level or to be at different levels as would be in line with their already established pecking order. Also, I have read that silkies typically do not roost but lie on the floor in a group/pile - should I plan on roosting space for them regardless?
Coop is 8' x 8', walls are 5' high and peak of coop is 8' if this helps.
Thanks for the input!

Chris

Also, I have read that silkies typically do not roost but lie on the floor in a group/pile - should I plan on roosting space for them regardless?

I put plenty of bars all at the same height AND lower ones. They all get used. Especially when I integrate new chicks or birds and also sometimes when they are waiting to use the lay boxes or on rainy days for the lower one.

The only time my Silkie's didn't actually roost was when they weren't taught to before their crest blocked their vision or they were moved to a new coop after the vision was blocked or when they were broody. Otherwise every one of my Silkies roosted. It's more sanitary that way to.

All my birds seem to like the 2x4 flat.. and aside from the roosting level... mine select preference based on proximity to the window or wall or corner... I like roosts at a level I can reach the bird easily without getting on a ladder or being covered in poo. Treating after dark using a flashlight is easier than chasing birds if you ever need to.

My top roost has a droppings board so my lower roost is directly underneath but no one gets gross.

So many decisions in chicken keeping and there is no ONE right answer! Sometimes we try and find out it doesn't work well, so we switch it up. Each flock and individual keeper and location are so unique and varying. Thank goodness for BYC and all the ideas and support and different experiences to share. :thumbsup

Hope this is a little helpful since it doesn't give any real answer. :oops: :p

I have two different heights.. this is the new set up.. old set up was similar but not as big.. my Silkie roosts on highest bar unless broody...
B812C080-F24E-4606-9DC9-F817605392AC.jpeg

Hello,
I am finishing up my coop and just need to put in roosting bars. However, I've become a bit confused about the configuration. I will be using 2x4 wood with the wide side up as I am in Upstate NY and want their feet to be covered in winter when they roost. I have five breeds - 2 leghorns, 2 brahmas, 2 easter Eggers, 3 Rhode Island reds and 9 silkies. My confusion is this: I have read that the roosting bars should be all the same level to prevent fighting but I thought that they like different levels of roosts and the birds at the top of the pecking order like the top roosts. So is it better for them to be the same level or to be at different levels as would be in line with their already established pecking order. Also, I have read that silkies typically do not roost but lie on the floor in a group/pile - should I plan on roosting space for them regardless?
Coop is 8' x 8', walls are 5' high and peak of coop is 8' if this helps.
Thanks for the input!

Chris
I have my bars at the same level. I have two roosts and my dominant hen just clears one of the roosts for herself when she is asserting her dominance and the other seven just crowd together on the other one. That rarely happens, but I’m glad I have two roosts when it does.

It is a good question but as far as I'm concerned there is no best way or better way to do this, there are just many different ways you could do it. My main roosts are as close to the same level as my crooked tree limbs will allow. Mine still squabble as they are settling in for the night. Keeping them all at the same level will not stop that. They don't hurt each other so no big deal as far as I'm concerned. That's just chickens being chickens.

I don't know how your coop is laid out inside, horizontally or vertically. How easily can your Silkies get to the nests since they can't fly? That should be part of your thought process. I don't have Silkies. If i were in your situation I'd put the main roosts higher than the nests. That can just be for the others. I'd put a roost higher than the nests you want the Silkies to use with a ramp leading up to that roost. Both roosts may be the same but don't have to be. Then as long as the Silkies don't sleep in the nests I'd let them sleep wherever they want. If they want to sleep in nest I'd train them to use that ramp.

Back
Top Bottom