1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Confused about worming

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mamabokbok, Feb 14, 2017.

1. mamabokbok

mamabokbok Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2015
    Australia
    Hi so I need to buy new wormer for my chickens and I'm confused as to which to buy, I found Avitrol Plus Wormer Tablets which on some threads say it's great, but on the poultry supply website I found them on in the description of the wormer it says 'not to be used on food producing birds' [​IMG] ah, what??? I want something easy to administer that will cover everything, this seems like the best way to do it but I don't want to give them something that isn't safe for their eggs to be eaten, Any advice?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I will take the confusion out of your mind, Go to Tractor Supply(or similar) and get the Liquid SafeGuard Goat Wormer---and a syringe that will at least get to 10ml. NO this goat wormer will not even mention chickens, but was prescribed to me my a State DVM and with as many as 1200 plus chickens at one time---I assure you it works. Shake bottle and mix what you think your chickens will drink in one day so you do not waste the medicine(DO NOT allow them access to Any other water no where even if it means no free ranging etc). Mix at a rate of 2 1/2 ml per quart, 5ml for 1/2 gallon, 10ml per gallon, etc, Mix a FRESH batch every morning for 3 mornings discarding any that might be left from the day before. That's It. It will get the worms as well as tape worms that a lot of the other wormer doesn't. BUT you do have to discard the eggs for at least 2 weeks min and allow a little longer if you plan to slaughter. Hope this helps.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    First of all, do you KNOW that they have worms? How do you know? Fecal float test done by the vet? Have you actually seen worms? Do you know what kind of worms they are? B/C if you have round worms, you don't need to pull out the big guns that will kill tape worms. And if you don't have proof that your birds do have worms, why would you worm them? Unless there is a parasite load heavy enough to warrant worming the birds, or you are simply doing so as a matter of routine, you are creating a situation where any worms that are in your soil will become resistant to the medication you are using. There are plenty of natural methods that can be used prophylactily, as well as to treat.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm not sure if there are any wormers "approved for use" for laying hens in AU, but hat doesn't mean they cannot be used, it just means that eggs and meat would have a withdrawal time. Can you get a vet to do a fecal float to see what worms they might have? That would be best, then your vet could help you come up with a treatment plan.

Maybe @Fancychooklady has some suggestions?

Avitrol Plus is Levamisole hydrochloride 20mg, Praziquantel 4mg.

[​IMG]

More on Avitrol Plus

Quote: Source: http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/AVITTAB

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by