Confused and need some help (Crowing hen)

AMSpsg18

Songster
11 Years
Jan 13, 2009
Somersworth NH
Okay, So I am a new chicken owner I've had my girls for a few months now, and within the last couple of weeks one of my hens has started to crow like a rooster. Her name is Meredith and she is the lighter or the two in the picture. the one in the back is Charlotte and she is Meredeth's right hand girl. BTW they are both mixed breeds NHR and light brahma (ROO)

chickens017.jpg

I read somewhere the NHR's will crow if there is no rooster. I don't know if that bit of information is correct but it seemed like a solution to this conundrum. She looks like a female to me but like I said I'm a recent chicken owner. Now If everyone agrees she is indeed a female why is she crowing and two how do I get her to stop?

PLEASE HELP!!

Last edited:
I have heard of hens crowing Im guessing you do the same thing with them as you do to get roosters to stop crowing. Put her in a dark, small box before bed so she can't crow in the morning then later in the day let her out. I don't know any other way

Oh now that I look at her she does look like a roo. But what about the rest of her, she doesn't have any spurs on her feet or all her head feathers are round not blade like. lol I guess I just need convincing....i want her to be a girl lol

They both look like roosters, the closer one has a saddle developing + some green tail feathers. The far one is harder to see- but I do see some roostery tail feathers sticking up.

Roosters start crowing around 4-5 months old, some sooner, some later.

Did you buy them as sexed chicks? Hatch them out at your place?

How old are they?

I hate to say this, but it looks like you may just have to change Meredith to Merrill - I suspect your hen may be a Roo in drag.

...which would explain the crowing
wink.png

The one in the front is definitely a roo. I can't see the full body of the one in the back to guess on that one.

Back
Top Bottom