confused broody hen

gameboygal12

Songster
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
I have a chicken that is broody. When ever she comes out of her nest to eat, she gets confused about witch box her eggs are in. and she sometimes sits on someone elses eggs thinking they were hers. how can I make her know witch box it the box her eggs are in? I've already tried to move her to a separate pen with one laying box, but she just paces the fence trying to get back to her old box....

Last edited:
If my broody goes to the wrong box, i just move her to the right one, and she stays there....or alternatively, i'll just give her eggs to her in whichever box she picked.

Yes, move her back and collect the other eggs frequently so she doesn't see them. She may just be practicing for a real broody experience.

Might want to edit your title, I came to look because I've never heard of a "broosy" hen.
smile.png

thanks I am trying to gather the eggs before she see's 'em..... hahah I didn't see that typo! sorry!
tongue.png

If you are trying to hatch eggs you will need to seperate her from the flock in a cage or different building. In my 40+ years of experience you will never get her to go back to the correct box every time. Honestly they are not that smart. Generally what happens is when she gets off the nest another hen who wants to lay will take over her box to lay and then when the broody comes back the nest box with "her" eggs is taken and she will settle down in another box.

I have put her in a spacy box with hay and water in my basement. she'll be fine now. thanks , scooter!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom