Confused Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tigger65, May 30, 2008.

1. tigger65

tigger65 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    Danville
    since I'm new to this I'm curious as to what she may be doing,,,,Hen went broody monday ,sat there with no eggs at all:| tuesday was a repeat. Wed. she was sitting on an egg she had laid so I took one more from the nesting box next to her and put it in there so she would have at least 2. noticed today she is now sitting in an empty nest box and the eggs that she was sitting on are no longer warm.
    should I try to stop her ? throw the eggs away? let her continue ??[​IMG]

2. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Is this her first time being broody? What breed is she? Some breeds are better broody then others. And fist time broodys..well can be cluless for a bit LOL. I would probably take the eggs, and replace them with golf balls, or plastic eggs. That will make her think shes sitting on something, but wont cause any problems if she decides its not for her.

Just my 2 cents....

3. tigger65

tigger65 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    Danville
    yes first time being broody ,black sexlink less than a year old

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  4. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    First time our BSL went broody she was like that. Now she goes broody every summer, and last year she refused to budge off the nest for seven weeks! This year if she goes broody i've promised her babies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by