My jersey giant is broody?

If she's still sitting on the ceramic eggs in the morning I'll remove them. I'll prep the dog kennel tomorrow too just in case she's really determined. We don't have a rooster yet. So even if she actually sat there on her own eggs nothing will hatch.

I'm so confused though because it's the middle of winter here in central ny. And she's not even a year old yet. I got them as day old chicks on May of 2023.
Hens can go broody anytime. It has to with hormones, not the weather. And I’ve had young pullets go broody before. It all depends on the bird.

One of my Buff Orpingtons pullets went broody at around 6 and a half months, in late fall into winter. I hardly believed it either!

Post in thread 'Is broody behavior gradual or sudden?' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-broody-behavior-gradual-or-sudden.1556334/post-26353519

Her behavior and body language compared to your other girls is the best clue. If she growls, puffs, and refuses to leave the nest, you can be sure. If she's super docile, take her off, try and get her active, see if she returns to the nest and how soon. She should still be acting "off" when you remove her: fluffy posture, deep clucks, stalking around while fluffed and especially when you or other hens approach her, maybe a little scrappy with the other girls telling them to not mess with her.

Watch a few YouTube videos of broodies for reference. Here's how mine looks when broody and when not (all same hen):
Snapchat-206403576.jpg

Back
Top Bottom