Confused broody!!!!! What's up with her?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pumpkinpup, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have a "golden laced wy" and she has been terribly broody for over a month. I have repeatedly thrown her off of the nest and gotten the eggs the other girls laid to her.
    After this went on forever I finally gave in and decided to let her hatch a clutch. She abandoned that clutch the next day and was sitting on another pile of eggs in the nest two spaces down when I went out at lunch to gather the eggs the second time! What the smack!!!! I don't get what she thinks she is doing? Never had one do this, have any of you?[​IMG]

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Maybe another bird bullied her off the clutch?

If you want to break her broodiness, try putting her in a dog kennel with just food and water - absolutely no nesting materials. Take her out and walk around with her several times daily.

I've also read of a broody who was finally broken after trying to hatch out ice cubes for 7 days.

3. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    Ice cubes?? [​IMG]

At least she was cool! [​IMG]

4. chickenlips1954

chickenlips1954 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    I have several hens that are broody right now. Whenever they get off their nesting box to eat or drink, another hen promptly moves in to lay her egg. If the new hen takes too long the broody will go to another box with eggs in it and settle in. I mark the eggs that I want the broody to hatch and usually have to take the newly laid eggs out from under the broody and replace them with the marked ones she'd originally been sitting on. It's like playing tic tac toe!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by