confused broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by grandmahen, Apr 23, 2009.

1. grandmahen

grandmahen New Egg

Apr 20, 2009
    my Silky is broody and we put six fertilized eggs under her. She sits on them most of the time, but the other chickens have been laying in another nest box, and yesterday she had moved from her next box and was sitting on the other eggs. I gathered them and put her back in her nest and told her to stop being silly but how long can she be off the eggs for them to be okay?

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I was dealing with that "musical chair" thing with my broody & had very good luck by isolating her. Took the nest & eggs and locked her up (sorta). She is in a 4x7 pen. She can see the others, but they cannot access her. The problem with leaving your broody with the flock is not only will she get too confused to focus & hatch the eggs, but other hens might break the eggs. This happened to us.
    Good luck with your hen & flock.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree. Maybe you can make a brooder for her and her eggs with access to feed and water.

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    is there anyway you can add more eggs? my broodys didnt sit until i gave them 12 eggs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by