confused chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hatty, Aug 21, 2007.

1. hatty

hatty Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2007
    I think I have a light brahma hen but she seem to think she is a light brahma rooster. I'm not really sure how to tell because she isn't crowing and not laying eggs. she is also trying to mate with one of the other hens. but she doesn't have the typical male feathers or comb. Has anyone had this happen before? oh and there is a rooster in there with them. [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hmmm... maybe you have a slow developing roo?

3. mommahento5

mommahento5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    South East Indiana
    If she was trying to mate then it sounds like your she is a he. I had a light brahma roo until a week ago (hawks) and he was 21 weeks old. Never once had I ever heard him crow.....saw him gettin' lots of action thou, and he was quite a bit bigger than my brahma hen. Maybe Brahmas just aren't big "talkers". As a matter of fact, my hen is also nearly silent. All the rest are quite chatty. How old is your bird? Could you maybe post a pic of her/him?

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

She could also be asserting herself as a higher bird in the pecking order too.

5. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Intersting thread. I have 3 Lt. Brahma pullets. You guys now have me thinking about their "talking". I only have one of the three that actually makes any noise at all. Very interesting topic to think about.

6. hatty

hatty Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2007
    thank you guys for all your help. actually right after I asked this question I went out to close down the coop for the night and wouldn't you know it he crowed. I haven't heard him do it since, I guess he just wanted to let me know. hehe
    isn't he a nice fella?[​IMG]
    thank you all again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by