confused chook

confused chook

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 14, 2008
A year ago we got six one day old chicks which were a mixture of breeds and were all sexed female.

They are our first and only birds and were raised as pets (Southern Hemisphere)

We currently get between 3 and 5 eggs a day and only once have we got six, but in reality one of those could've been a late one from the day before.

2 of the birds were white sussexs and up to about 3 months ago we could not tell them apart.

About that time at around 9 months of age, one of the white sussexs started to change.

As compared to the other sussex, its wattle and comb are huge, its body has become bigger and its feet are a bit redder in colour.

About 3 weeks ago I caught it for the first time trying unsuccesfully to crow. (more of a aggh than crow)

Now it is crowing of a morning.

It has no spurs, no rooster tail or hackle feathers.

It is not any more aggresive than what it should be given its size and place in the pecking order and it has not been seen "sexually harrassing" any of the girls.

Coincidentally during the last 6 or so weeks we have twice got a whopper size egg, which are about 3 times a normal size and won't fit in an egg carton.

Do we have a slow developing rooster or just a confused chook?

Last edited:
Hi Confused, the best way to answer that question is for you to post a pic. Let us know if you need help with posting the pic.

Our roosters dont have spurs yet either and they are 6mo. The one rooster almost looks like a hen. He has just now been looking and acting more roosterly.
If you have been holding them a lot that may be why it does not behave agressively. None of my roosters act aggressive towards me.
My ROO, sounded broke when he first started crowing. Just like yours.
My roosters do not crow at night, they only do it in the light. THey do not do it constantly. They really only do it when they are calling back and forth across the yard.
ROO, did not start mounting the hens until about a week ago. The other roosters started at least three weeks ago. They are very mean about it too.
I do not think the size of the egg is dependant on wether you have a rooster in the bunch or not. Have fun, love him anyway.
smile.png

I'm kind of new to the site is anyone able to post some instructions on this thread as to how I can upload a picture of the confused chook?

Thanks much appreciated, I will email them to you

- I had uploaded the photos onto the site and it had said they were successful , but then I could't get them into my post

just save the pic to your computer and upload it to this site using the uploads feature at the top of the page, real easy. Ive heard other people say a hen will sometimes do this if there is no roo.

at the bottom of the pics on photobucket, you see 3 boxes with text in them,,,, the 1 that says [img code} copy that code, then paste that code into your reply,,, something like,,,
this is my confused chook
{IMG CODE HERE}
and that should bring your pic up when you hit submit.
but ill post it when it arrives
wink.png

I am conceding that it is a late maturing rooster - but 3 months ago we couldn't pick it from the hen of the same breed.

Only 3 weeks ago it started to try to learn to crow.

It has no spurs or hackle feathers and its tail is not much different from the hen of the same breed.

Its not agressive and it doesn't seem to be making any improper advances to the 5 girls

It was born September last year - Is it unusual for a rooster to take so long to mature.

Back
Top Bottom