Confused enthusiast

Glenstorm63

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2016
Hello, I live in South Australia. I understand this club is North American based. We have a narrower range of breeds here as we have freedom from many diseases elsewhere in the world so there are strict live animal and egg importation laws. I have been breeding Welsummers and recently crosding with silver grey Dorking to get dilver duckwing genes into the flock but my best (only) new silver rooster and best gold hen were taken by fox or another breeder, not sure which. Silver duckwing welsummers have never been here in Australia before. I also plan to produce some easter eggers and I would love to get some Ayam Cemani but we can't import them here. Java is right next door but the potential diseases make this off limits.

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
- glad that you have joined us. BYC has members from all over the world - one of the aspects of the site that makes it so interesting.

Theres an Aussie thread called "Australia, six states and that funny little island" that you may wish to join to chat with members close to you.

I live in Kenya, and trying to get anything other than commercial breeds is almost impossible - it can be very frustrating to say the least.

Good luck with you breeding plans!

CT

BYC has a large Aussie community, the more the merrier. You've been told of the Aussie thread so others in your area can provide you with good information. Aussies also post all over the forums.

I know how strict importing is - I grow houseplants and only seeds can be sent to Australia. To bring in plants you need a special license for much money, etc. etc. plants have to be quarantined, fumigated, all soil removed etc. I don't know how plants survive that treatment.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Hope you will be able to acquire the breeds you want.

Back
Top Bottom