confused hen or rooster?

Tman2

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
Corcoran, MN
A buddy of mine has a chicken that seems to be trying to crow, but still lays eggs. He says the hen is a little bigger than the others, with a bigger comb and wattle. Anybody have a similar situation or know anything?

My bantam hen has crowed several times!
lol.png
Crowing hens are not uncommon.....just do a search for "crowing hen" on Youtube.
wink.png
And unlike what the little ditty says, not all crowing hens come to a bad end.
big_smile.png

Do they have any roosters in there flock? Or is the number or roosters/hens really off? I have not experienced it myself but I have read that it is not uncommon for a hen to take up a dominant roll in the flock and start acting like a rooster when they are absent or in short supply. Including but not limited to crowing and growing spurs. I am sure there is some with with more experience that will give you better information on it.

Well I feel a little relief now that I saw this post. I have had my "hen" for a week now and all of a sudden this morning she decided to crow. I am double checking with the person I bought her from to make sure she gave me the right bird.
hu.gif
When I bought her the owner said she laid an egg that morning, but she hasn't since. Hmmmmm.

Spoke with the person I bought the hen from and says yup it was a hen and that they start crowing to show dominance over the flock when there is no roo either that or she just laid an egg.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom