Confused Hen

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by rebbetzin, Nov 15, 2012.

1. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    The other day one of the hens decided the goat feeder would make an excellent nestbox!

[​IMG]

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Ha ha ha! That is funny! Did it lay any eggs in there?
    [​IMG]

3. BackyardAnita

BackyardAnita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG]funnnny

4. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    No, she decided the goats eating her nest was not a good thing!

5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    That is hilarious. I would so love to know what makes chickens do what they do.

I had one who wouldn't lay in the nest box in her house. Had to lay outside. Out of desperation, I put a handful of shavings in a cardboard box and she loved it. So one day while at the feed store, I picked up a wooden free standing nest and replace her cardboard box with it. She hated it. Wanted nothing to do w/ the fancy nest.

Sigh...

6. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    [​IMG] We had a hen lay an egg up on the barn rafters today. She was convinced that it made a perfect nesting spot. The egg fell off and broke. She was still not convinced she did anything wrong... *sigh*... [​IMG]

7. Haha, at least your hen didn't lay an egg in the laundry basket!

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] Now that's cute!

9. Kirklandchick

Kirklandchick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2012
    Illinois
    We have two dish tubs with pine shavings that we use in the nest boxes. Most of the time the eggs all make it into the nest tubs, but occasionally one ends up in front of them or between them. Tonight when I got home and checked for eggs, one of the dish tubs was propped up kinda funny, and when I picked it up there was an egg underneath, and not even broken! Have no idea how they accomplished that lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by