Confused Newbie with 2 main questions please.

NewChickHere

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
The beautiful coast of NC
Hi. I am brand new to chickens. So new I haven't even gotten them yet. :) We get 27 chicks in one week and we are all so excited and feel ready, pretty much. The brooder is ready but we are building the coop right now. Trying to anyway. lol.

I am a reader/researcher so I LOVE these forums and have gotten so much wonderful information from here. I also have 8 library books and 2 that I have bought. But, with all this information, some confusion can get in as I am noticing peoples opinions and feelings vary a great deal regarding some things for their precious feathery family members. I totally get that and will be that way myself soon. I know some stagger the roost heights while some are against that because it kind of encourages the less popular girls to always have to roost lower and maybe get a complex.
hmm.png

Well, as my husband and I are at the kitchen table right now we are trying to figure out the nest boxes. He has been reading too so we are coming at each other with different view points from what we have heard. haha. He said he heard the nest boxes should be raised and 14x14x14. Now, as much as I agree with giving the girls as much happiness as possible, we are looking at our space available and making sure the roosts are higher than the nest. SO......I have read that we could actually have the bottom 4 nests on the ground and they could be 12x12x12. Which would help tremendously and we could set the roosts at 3' no problem. I know there is a lot of talk about the roost height too, like 3' or 4' or 5'. Some say 5' is great, their ladies love the height, but some say they can break an egg internally jumping down.
hit.gif
I tell you, it's a lot for a new person to take in. lol.

Anyway, I would like to find out the MAJORITY here if possible to 2 main questions. 1)Can we set the nests on the ground no problem and 2) Can we make them 12x12x12? I appreciate everyones thoughts, even if you all feel a bit different. I am just thankful to hear from people doing this already and what the main thoughts are. Thank you and blessings to you all.
Signed, sitting here waiting for your replies.
caf.gif

Kim

I have ten next boxes in my coop - and they're all 12 x 12 x 12. I have seen two of my full size hens crowd into one of them at times! So the 12-inch boxes are plenty big enough. The only guideline about how high they should be is that the nest boxes should be lower than the roosts. Otherwise, they'll try to roost in the nest boxes. So my nest boxes are at 3 feet & 4 feet - and my roosts are at 5 feet.

Thanks so much for your reply Carol. 12x 12 x12 will def be easier during the building process. So, if I start my bottom row of nest boxes on the ground, I take it that would eliminate the need for a little perch type thing outside it correct? Please forgive me for any ignorant questions. :) I know the need a little perch thing on the top row tho. Thanks again. I'm so excited for this new adventure and want to do the very best I can for these new girls.

Can we set the nests on the ground no problem and 2) Can we make them 12x12x12? I appreciate everyone's thoughts, even if you all feel a bit different. I am just thankful to hear from people doing this already and what the main thoughts are. Thank you and blessings to you all.

I would put the nest boxes 3 feet off the ground and 12x16x12. 3 girls can lay in 1 box. You will not believe how the siblings and chick-mates do everything together sleep, lay, play, dig, eat all together. You will love throwing 2 pieces of long spaghetti and having them run all over the place playing hide it and eat it. LOL

welcome-byc.gif

Can we set the nests on the ground no problem and 2) Can we make them 12x12x12? I appreciate everyone's thoughts, even if you all feel a bit different. I am just thankful to hear from people doing this already and what the main thoughts are. Thank you and blessings to you all.

Hi Steve. Thank you so much for the welcome.
frow.gif

And thanks also for your replies to my questions. There sure is a lot to think about I am learning. I have been reading about people saying the space under the nest boxes is really more used for
extra coop space if your coop space is tight. Do you find that to be true? That is where I've been getting the thoughts about setting the first row on the bottom. The whole 10x12 coop is going to start at 3' high of the ground so they can have that space underneath for shade in our warm summers, AND hoping that along with an electric fence around it, the height might deter some predators too. We live on 25 acres.
fl.gif

Since we are making the nest boxes accessible for me to get the eggs from the outside I am already looking at 3' high to the bottom of the coop. If I start the nests 3' off that ground I will be up there 6 foot just to get to the bottom row. I am sure you see where I am going here. haha. I might need a ladder to get my eggs. But, if that is best than I am willing to do what's best for my girls, I just need to know the WHY's behind raising the nesting boxes besides room underneath. I see some folks with milk crates right on the floor and they seem to love it so I am collecting data and comparing and really appreciate your input too. As for the 12x16x12, I am guessing the 16" is the height?? Again, forgive any ignorant questions. Hubby is outside building right now otherwise he would probably know that answer.

I can't wait to sit and watch their antics for hours. They sound like such fun and I am so looking forward to raising them from babies. Such a great experience for this city turned country girl.
celebrate.gif
Kim

Hi Kim,
Welcome!
wee.gif

My girls have liked their arrangement with low nesting boxes and the roost just above. The coop is small and I set it up this way for convenience in cleaning and collecting eggs from the outside.
Check out my page and look at the set up I have. It works well for me.
Nancy
smile.png

Hi Nancy. WOW! I love your coop! I love all the attention to detail you did, very nice. Especially love that decorative little balcony and the glass door. You're storage space is awesome too. Definitely very inspiring.
love.gif
Kim

Back
Top Bottom