Confused on last three days of incubating...

goatkeepers

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Mooresville, NC
Allright, y'all are gonna laugh, but I am having a complete "blonde" moment!! I am on day 16 today and pretty soon it will be time to remove the turner, crank up the humidity and sit on my hands.
th.gif
But...
If you;re supposed to do that the last 3 days of incubation, do you start on day 19? Cause then you have 3 days, right? 19, 20 and 21. But I always hear everyone starting on day 18. But that would be 4 days. Unless you don't count day 21? Since that's hatch day? Oh, I am so confused! Please help!
barnie.gif
big_smile.png

I stopped turning and upped the humidity at the end of Day 18. You could do it at the end of 18 or beginning of Day 19. Not a make or break deal, either way is fine.

tongue2.gif
Neither. I'm a brunette.
gig.gif

Ok, I'm just having the "anxious first time hatching mom" attack. .. Thanks for clarifying.

Dawn, I am hatching Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.
smile.png
What about you? That will be exciting, we can keep each other sane. *lol* I have nine in the bator, I think one didn't develop though. Will candle one more time on monday.

Quote:
This is my first hatch, and we've got 13 Orpington eggs in there. We started with 27 eggs and after Day 14 of taking a look, we found 3 quitters (which I verified after cracking) and the rest were infertile or otherwise abused during transit as they never developed, at least to my ameteur eyes.

I'm off to Walmart right now to pick up some brooder supplies, got my chick starter yesterday. I'm also expecting a box of 8 on Wednesday to arrive via post. So we'll have a full brooder!

Wow, no kidding!!
I just bought the non slip lining stuff at Wal Mart yesterday, to line the bator with. I need to clean the brooder today.
I think that stuff will be a good investment since it will
A. keep their feet from getting stuck in the wire
B. be easy to clean when the hatch is done (I'll prob. just throw it out)
C. keep the eggs from rolling around

Hey!
I thought about the no slip liner, I've used it for years on other things, but I ended up purchasing a 5 pack of flour sacks & another pack of utility wash cloths instead. I like the bleachability of the cloth and the fact that it's so useful just about anywhere.

Pine chips, check
Brooder blanky, check
hatcher blanky, check
chick starter, check
extra long chick feeder, check (my old sm one sits in the chix tractor now)
extra waterer, check

Brooder ready? ALMOST! I'm fixing up a piece of trash to treasure hubby brought home from the dump, a little more hot glue today and it'll be ALL ready... I'm taking pics of the progress of course
wink.png

I'm excited & nervous like a new mum. Since it's my first hatch, I'm not expecting great results but I sure am hoping!

Back
Top Bottom