Confused on this one

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by louieloui, Oct 2, 2010.

1. louieloui

louieloui Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    I know Silkie's take awhile to sex, but this one is confusing me in its behavior. If you rub "her" back, she squats down. But today when we put some younger chicks in w/the main group, "she" did a little dance around them and kept trying to get very close to them--almost mounting, but not totally there. No crowing as of yet (no eggs either) and "she" doesn't dance or try to mount our older (18 wks.) girls, so I'm confused. Any guesses? "She" is 17 wks. old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    looks like a roo to me

3. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Mmmmm looks like a pullet to me, altho like you pointed out silkies are slow maturing birds, I have 8 21 week olds and 4 Im sure are roos even tho they havent crow a single time.
    Sometimes if you have older roos with them they wont crow as they might be scared of the older roos. Male silkies also get streamers, which are long spiky feathers on their heads, but mine didn't get them til they were 19 weeks old.
    And it also depend and the quality of the parents but mine had noticably bigger combs and wattles at a younger age than the females.

4. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    I think you have a roo.

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2

6. louieloui

louieloui Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    Ahhh, so might need to change "her" name from Lyra to Lyran.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by