COnfused on ventilation and drafts HELP!!

tshowell

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
Hendersonville NC
I'm still new at this and this is our first winter with chickens. I'm confused on the difference between a draft and ventilation. Our coop is not insulated and for ventilation the eaves of the house are open (covered with metal screens for protection).The eaves are on the north and south sides. How do we provide ventilation without drafts? And what about condensation problems? My roo already has a little frostbite on his comb and it is going to be 17 degrees with 30 mile an hour winds tomorrow night. The coop is 4 x 8 and about 2 feet off the ground. Thanks for any help!

Quote:
I'd definitely close in those eaves with something hinged or removeable, fairly snug, so you can CONTROL the amount of ventilation. Then you can close all or nearly all of the upwind-side vents on a windy winter day. Reopen them when things calm down again.

Frostbite is encouraged by two main things (well aside from cold obviously
tongue.png
) -- drafts and humid air. If you can prevent drafts as above that'll help; how is your coop, moisture-wise? If the litter is a bit on the dampish side and/or you get condensation on various surfaces then it would be worth figuring out what the problem is (leak? waterer spills? time to change the bedding for fresher dryer stuff?) and fixing.

Also, in addition not as a substitute, have you tried rubbing vaseline on the comb to discourage frostbite.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom