confused on when to give grit and first scraps

Since my chicks were about 2 weeks old I've been scooping sand/gravel out of my stream a couple times a week. I spread it on a cookie sheet and bake it in my oven at 400F for 20 or 30 minutes. I figure that will kill any germs in it, and it dries it out nicely. Once it's cool I just put the whole cookie sheet right in the brooder. They mostly scratch it off the pan, but seem to peck up the right size grains of sand. Someone else mentioned digging up a hunk of sod and putting it in the brooder. I did this once, it was fun, but messy. Mostly the ground is still too wet around here.

I too am new to this and just went to Home Depot and bought a 50lb bag of quickcrete construction all purpose sand (lots of size pebbles/rocks/sand) for $2.98. The girls love it.

Well I ended up grinding my grit with my mortar and pestle. The little guys went bananas for it! Especially the barred rocks, which we chuckled at the irony. I ended up taking out the dish because they wouldn't stop chowing down on it. Think I'll give it every other day or so.

I introduced some crumble soaked yogurt and a little crumbled up bread today and they loved it, especially when smeared on the wall of the brooder, go figure! Chicks just love tiny specs and dots it's fascinating they'll go right for the freckles on my arm haha. Tomorrow I'll try a little grass now that they have the grit in them.

I was wondering about yard sand and it's wetness like some of you have mentioned. We have very very fine sandy soil but it's also very moist so I wasn't sure if that's as good as the crushed up grit. Was thinking of digging some up and letting it dry out a bit before giving to them..? The microbes would be good for them, without much risk if I'm digging up deeper stuff (not top surface)? I'm not sure baking is necessary? - afterall people let mother chickens raise their brood outside and they get exposed to all this stuff...

I know being a first time chicken owner I'm probably being way over cautious and over-thinking it all, appreciate all the input as I learn
smile.png

Our TSC has Chick Grit that is very fine and packaged just for small chicks. It is right next to the poultry grit and the bags are nearly identical so you do have to read packages carefully. My son bought it so his chicks could have the best LOL.

My chicks are 3 weeks old now. I haven't ever given them grit because ground all around my house is sandy under the grass. They seem to be very happy, healthy, and getting big fast.
But, I live in Louisiana where it is hot already and my open air coop is a 10 x 10 dog kennel fence and chicken wire with a roof.

I was told and so far seems to be true that if you have a sandy type ground you don't need to much grit if at all.

Hope it helps

Back
Top Bottom