1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

confused - sex change?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by buttergirl12, Oct 1, 2010.

1. buttergirl12

buttergirl12 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2010
    We picked our 7 chickens from a mixed bunch, some hens, some roosters, some young looking chickens. We didn't know what breeds or how old they were. I did some googling and figured this was a standard Cochin and fully grown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then she started mounting other hens and her comb and wattles started to grow. But the tail still looks the same and she or he gets along with the other rooster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I guess this is a rooster?

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I want to say roo, but not 100%. How old is it?

3. buttergirl12

buttergirl12 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2010
    No idea how old. But my husband just came in and said he is trying to crow and it sounds like he has a beak full of food or water. He/she just didn't look that young to me when we got them.

4. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I still can't give a definite answer. [​IMG] I want to say hen, but something is telling me roo. I think I see the makings of saddle feathers and a curved tail, but I am not a 100%. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Definite boy. It isn't full grown though - Those neck feathers and the splash coloring is quite immature.

6. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Absolutely a young rooster.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Good lookin' young man, too.

8. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    It's a boy, it was just young when you got him, but in the first pic I can see the saddle feathers.

Otherwise, he did look like a hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by