Confused Tom Turkey

chickenzoo

Emu Hugger
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
a bumpy dirt road in Florida
I had 2 geese in with 2 Tom turkeys for a short while (geese were in time out)..... any how, I noticed one of the geese eggs was smashed and thought the turkey stepped on it. Well today I see another egg, so i finish my chores and go to pick up the egg before the Turkeys step on it again.... Then I noticed that my one tom was squatting down and trying to roll the egg under him. There was a shallow hole he was trying to roll it in, and he'd move his legs around, squat down and try to roll the egg under him. Silly Turkey. And yes he is a he.........
wink.png

I have a turkey that I can't 100% say is male or female. He/She has done the full male turkey strutt, and is currently in week 2 of brooding on eggs with two of my 'female' turkeys.
tongue.png
They look adorable trying to hatch out one big batch of chicks together.

Plus I've been getting crossbreeds that shouldn't be crossbreeds if He/She is a she. Other than He/She I have only one male turkey, he's a boubon red. But if my He/she turkey is a she, then why are most of my red bourbon eggs hatching as crossbreeds. (naragansett/bourbon.) These are eggs that I collected moments after the turkey laid them, so I know that they should have been Bourbons.

Maybe he/she is both genders, or there is a male neighborhood turkey that only shows up when I'm not around. ???? (No wild turkeys live near me.) Or my female turkeys are switching my eggs around on me, crazy turkeys.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom