Confused with NO eggs!!

Cackle Shack Maid

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Hello, I'm new to chickens and new to the forum. I can't thank you all enough for the wonderful info off the forum it has helped me through this far but now I'm stumped. I purchased baby chicks the first week in April, Black Australorp, Barred Rock and Red Sex links. Five weeks later I added Buff Orp. and Silver laced Wyandottes. So I total 16 chickens now. I have looked for all the signs of them getting ready to lay but still have no eggs. I'm wondering if they are ever going to lay. Their wattles and combs have been bright red for some time now. Not sure what the squat is everyone talks about, but they have been hanging out in the coop more and using the nesting boxes. I have put ping pong balls in the nest box as been suggested. I cleaned out the coop since I use the deep litter method looking for signs of eggs --None. I feed 16% layer crumbles, 1-2 times a week scratch, and plenty of water. No signs of illness. I lost 1 one 5 weeks ago, but I believe that was an isolated incident because I have not seen any problems with the others. Is it possible the are all later bloomers, or am I not patient enough. I just love being a chicken mama and can't wait for my hard work to pay off and have eggs to enjoy! Any other ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Could they be laying somewhere else?? Are they free range? You are right- you should have eggs by now... I think, but I could be wrong. Do some research on your breeds. All breeds have different maturing ages. Good luck! and the wait is worth it!

They are not free range chickens as much as I would like them to be. I have done the research and most say around 20 weeks unless I have bad info.
hmm.png

I'm in the same boat. Mine we're born in April and no eggs either and no signs of them laying. They do free range but I keep looking around at places they goa and nothing. I've even picked them up to check vents to see if they look used but can't tell. LOL

Do you all live in colder/darker climates? I got my chicks in March just to avoid them still being young when Montana winter hits and they started at 20 weeks. Maybe they aren't getting enough light or the cold has taken them for a whirl?

I live in Southeast Kansas, We started getting cold weather about 2-3 weeks ago. We average about upper 30's at night and average 50's during day. I have a wire pen plenty large enough that is secure and attached to coop. I leave the door open and they let themselves out at sun up (7am) and away at sun down (7pm). How much light do they need?

Mine are the same age as your and I am having the same issue. I got one egg... on Sunday and nothing since. It was laid in the run, out in the clear open. Mine are not free range. They get in the nest boxes, move the golf balls in there around. I've checked closely and see no signs broken or eaten eggs. I've checked the hay in the boxes, the litter under the roosts, everywhere. The area they have isn't that large, but I can't find a thing. I did see my roo mating the PR today, for the first time, which is the first time I've seen it. And I did guess that she was my layer.

I am in NC so I don't think the cold has anything to do with it...

Hoping for some answers, too.

I have 4 girls that are all the same age, 29 weeks...One EE and 3 GLW's. One of the Wyandottes laid at 24 weeks, one just started a few days ago, nothing from the EE or the other Wyandotte yet. They are not squatting either but the non-laying Wyandotte looked more mature as far as comb and wattles go. I am hoping they'll lay soon but figured up to about 30 weeks (after I was anxiously awaiting eggs around 20 weeks for a while....)And all the girls are on te same food,same housing etc. I live in WI, not really supplementing light yet, will probably add an hour or so in a few weeks. Some breeds are known to start laying around 18 - 20 weeks, some are known to start around 24 - 28 weeks....and some chickens do not read the instructions. If you have checked possible spots for laying they may just have not started. I noticed wattlles and comb getting redder a couple of weeks before squatting and squatting 2 3 weeks before laying. But these are my first chickens, I have one RIR and one BR that are 12 weeks old, they are supposed to start laying at a bit younger age but it will be winter by the time they are 20 weeks old. So we'll just have to see....
Don't stress too much, it will happen!!!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom