Confused

Mamasoto

Chirping
Apr 7, 2019
Vernon, TX
Okay so can some help me understand how this happened. I have a coop with 1 black cochin roo, with these hens; a red cochin and red frizzle, a black frizzle and a black cochin x black silkie (for my sizzle project).... there hasn’t been another rooster around these hens for about a month. I also know they haven’t gotten loose at any point since being placed in the new coop a month ago. All the other chicks so far look like black cochins... this looks like a little white Easter egger to me... I’m just sooo confused. If it had silkie features I’d figure it would come from the crossed hen... I do have a bantam Easter egger roo who is free range, it’s not like he Houdini’d in and out of the coop lol but I’m thinking he had to have right? But none have ever gotten out and I’m sure the cochin roo would’ve beaten him to a pulp and he wouldn’t have gotten back out. Is it still possible it came from the silkie cross. Idk... ugh chickens.

Attachments

• D1D6EE05-6DA7-433F-AB10-519714EFC5FE.jpeg
    D1D6EE05-6DA7-433F-AB10-519714EFC5FE.jpeg
    348.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 0B1035DF-36D5-48B1-9CB3-2F9181DA9D20.jpeg
    0B1035DF-36D5-48B1-9CB3-2F9181DA9D20.jpeg
    298.3 KB · Views: 23
It could just be a case of recessive colour genes meeting in just the right way to produce a chick that is that colour.

Or it could be that 'about a month' hasn't quite been long enough as hens can be fertile for up to 4 weeks after mating with a rooster. This little one may have slipped through the system.

It's a cutie, that's for sure.

So she has a walnut comb? Does she have 5 toes, or black skin?

The question is did the chick's pea comb come from the EE, or was it a result of a single comb x walnut comb cross.

So she has a walnut comb? Does she have 5 toes, or black skin?

The question is did the chick's pea comb come from the EE, or was it a result of a single comb x walnut comb cross.
Yes walnut, sorry I forget to mentions types when talking about combs lol. And she does have the 5 toes but not the black skin, it like pale grey. I’m not even sure the EE was ever around them... and he doesn’t have a pea comb it’s more like a cushion comb I’d say.

Pure black Cochins don't have this type of progeny, but some lines of black cochins have partridge on their background. That chick obviously came from the Silkie cross hen.
Thank you! I’m excited to see how it turns out looking regardless. I’ve gotten some pretty fabulous crosses before.

Back
Top Bottom