Confused!!

PGChicks

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
This is our first attempt at incubation with 6 silkie bantam eggs. We first candled the eggs on day 7 using an LED torch and couldn't really see anything... so we waited and candled again on day 9 and saw nothing in 5 of the eggs and a definite embryo in 1. Its now day 13... we just candled the eggs again.... 5 definitely have nothing in... the one with the embryo seems to be full! Cant see any light through it at all! The thing is, the egg with the embryo in has been "weeping" slightly for over a week now... any thoughts? I know someone is going to say "get rid of the weeping egg", but its grown ( or seems to have) in the last 4 days. Is the fact that we cant see any light through it at this stage normal?

if it is weeping, it is about to blow! Get it out of your incubator before it blows! Believe me first hand knowledge of this stinky mess. EWWWWWW.

You should at least be able to see the air cell at 13 days. Not total blackness.

Last edited:
Quote:
Trust me, you will not find a good chick in it.

You can do this but follow the instructions carefully
1) remove the egg from the incubator
2) go outside away from anything you care about
3) wear protective eye gear
cool.png
and a plastic bag over your clothing
4) crack the egg to expose the contents
hide.gif
(be ready for a gun sounding explosion) it might not happen but odds are it will sound like a pistol going off

5) tell me what you find in the egg.
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
Odds are, it grew and died and is now fermenting to a wonderful stinky mess. the oozing is a tell tale sign that it is not good inside the egg! Especially if it has been weeping for a week! ICK!
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
Get a zip lock baggie, carefully place it over the egg WHILE IN the incubator, gently pick it up closing the bag under it. Holding it carefully take it outside set it down and tap it, it will pop in the bag and you can see what was in it without making a huge mess and most of the smell will be in the bag.

ETA: Leave one little end of the baggie open so the air can escape instead of the bag blowing up too.

Last edited:
ok we took your advice and inside was a black gooey stinky mess, so glad it didn't explode in the incubator. Once again thank you all for the advice

Back
Top Bottom