confused

cleaning with clorox a friend with chickens has told me about the clorox in water but i wanted to get more input before i tried putting it in there water

Ok, it sounds like you're putting clorox in their drinking water? I cannot imagine that would be good for them at all. I think you've received some great advice so far.
smile.png

With the swollen eye and runny nose my first two inclinations are Coryza and Avian Bronchitis. If you google those terms you will come up with lots of information.

Personally, I do not use any conventional medications, so what I would do is isolate the currently affected birds in separate, small, quiet pens. Provide fresh, clean water -- with no additives, especially not bleach -- and food. Keep them quiet and give them time to recover and then put them back out with the rest of the flock.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are you using cedar shavings in the coop? that can cause respiratory probs and swelling eyes... Good luck!

no i use pine shavings and my coop is well venelated i free range and feed purina layena sparingly every where ive read it points to my coop being dirty but that is not the case like i said im clueless new to raiseing chickens and not starting off on the right foot very discusted:( the only other thing i can think of is they like to hang out in my cow barn and dust in the dried cow manure instead of there dust pan that i have for them

Last edited:
Where are you reading that says your coop being dirty is the only possible cause of illness? Did you google the two diseases I told you about for infection information, treatment, prevention, etc?

Illnesses such as these, in chickens, are often highly contagious. It could be as simple as something you picked up on your shoes at the feed store and tracked home and now it's running through the whole flock. You need to isolate the infected birds, provide them with supportive care, and re-integrate them once they are free of all symptoms. Keeping them all together will only allow the disease to continue to spread from one bird to the next in a nasty cycle.

Back
Top Bottom