confused!

soulsong

Songster
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
NorthEast Georgia
So here's the story:
I had a flock of Buff Orps, with 2 black australorps 2yrs ago (my only roo was a Buff). For a school project I hatched out chicks from my flock and some extra's my friend had from her Rhode Island Reds.

Of the hatch I ended up with three chicks, two roo's and Frede (hen), the boys have since gone on, lovely coyotes
sad.png

I always thought Frede was a RIR because she was soooo much darker then my buffs...well this past fall we decided to change to RIR cause Frede was such a prolific layer my husband said we needed more like her. So in comes a flock of RIR's that a friend of his had too many of...and whoa...wait a minute... Frede isnt nearly as dark as they are!

So now I am confused....she is really to dark to be buff (at least thats what I thought - since my buffs were rather pale) but she isnt dark enough to be RIR ...is she? I never saw my friends flock of RIR's so ....is there this much variation?

here is my Roo, a hen and behind them you can see Frede, and the color difference.

and just cause Frede is such a camera hog!!

She looks like some of my production red hens. They're hatchery birds and I'm not sure if it's a RIR X strain or just a RIR strain that tends to be lighter in body and color then true to type RIR's but does lay very well..?? Hopefully someone else will chime in. I love my Buff, but she's not even close to my best layer, she's an awesome mamma though.

Thanks Everyone!
I must have misunderstood my friend when she told me what her birds where.....
hu.gif
which wouldnt be surprising since at that time I was just starting out and didnt know many breeds.
Regardless of what she is, Frede is a wonderful hen , friendly, curious and an awesome layer!

Last edited:
Alot of people call these RIR because that what many of the hatcheries sold for RIR. More recently, I think with more public awareness, more hatcheries are starting to carry the darker, closer to standard, RIR. Yours looks like a production red and if the egg laying is that prolific, it probably is. The darker ones should be good layers, but maybe not as good as as Frede.

Back
Top Bottom