confused

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by marky7111, Sep 30, 2013.

1. marky7111

marky7111 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Hi just wondering . Our 7 chicks are nearly 7 weeks old . The mum has just started laying again. She has recently started chasing them and pecking at them. Is this her disowning them. Do I need to seperate them and put her back in with the other hens . She has been in a 2nd run with the chicks since day 1. But they all get let out and put away at the same time . She used to chase the other chickens away. Will the hens except her on her own into the flock. Sorry just need help

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    This is her way of telling the chicks she is done with them and they are now on their own. She can go back with the flock.

3. marky7111

marky7111 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Thanks cassie. Do u know if I let the chicks out at the same time as the hens . Will the hens all pick on the chicks now

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I don't know. But I would be hesitant to put a group of small youngsters in with a group of mauch larger adults. They can't defend themselves.

5. ken-t

ken-t Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    Sorry I cant be much help. I let my chickens range over a fairly large area, about fifteen acres. My barn yard covered about an acre and I had a number of out buildings so the chickens could be twenty feet apart and not see each other. I'd keep 8 to 12 hens and 3 roosters. In the morning the roosters would lead their hens off in different directions never crossing each other during the day till evening came. Then they'd systematically go to roost. The mother hens when the chicks got big enough would take their brood to the roost about 20-30 minutes before the rest of the chickens started then she would protect them by placing herself between her chicks an the other chickens. After a number of days she would return to a flock (that wouldn't accept the chicks,) and start laying again. The little brood would stay together till almost grown. Of course I would take the roosters I didn't want to keep when they got big enough. hope there is some kind of information you can use in the future.

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would put the hen in at night on the roost between some others.Chicks in at night when 16 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by