Confused???

tball

Chirping
8 Years
May 17, 2011
hemphill,tx
OK I have owned nothing but Production reds for the last 3 years. With that said ... I went to a feed store in my town she had some chicks that were a little older, ( I really hate the baby rearing stuff) she said I have a trio of Dominick and 3 black Maren's, Trio meaning one male and 2 hens. I talked her in to selling me 2 Maren's and 1 hen Dominique. I knew the nicker was getting ready to lay, so for a few days kept her in coop when I let all the others out. Finally the EGG , but what it is white!!! Well this is weird, I google all about a chicken that dose this and should not.... OK. THEN the black Maren's (you know the chocolate egg layers) what ....white eggs? I have yet to go back to the seller ...hopefully next week, but she said she purchased from a hatchery so should be pure breed.. any ideas . two diff breeds both laying white , could they do anything at birth or what!!!

OK I have owned nothing but Production reds for the last 3 years. With that said ... I went to a feed store in my town she had some chicks that were a little older, ( I really hate the baby rearing stuff) she said I have a trio of Dominick and 3 black Maren's, Trio meaning one male and 2 hens. I talked her in to selling me 2 Maren's and 1 hen Dominique. I knew the nicker was getting ready to lay, so for a few days kept her in coop when I let all the others out. Finally the EGG , but what it is white!!! Well this is weird, I google all about a chicken that dose this and should not.... OK. THEN the black Maren's (you know the chocolate egg layers) what ....white eggs? I have yet to go back to the seller ...hopefully next week, but she said she purchased from a hatchery so should be pure breed.. any ideas . two diff breeds both laying white , could they do anything at birth or what!!!

I would suggest posting pictures of the birds in question so that we can see the birds you purchased.

When I buy chicks from the local farm store, I often get mystery chicks. It would seem that between the mass of birds hatching on any given day, there seems to be a fair number that get mixed up and shipped. Then at the feed store this happens again, certain breeds look similar as chicks and though everyone means well, the result is not as expected for the purchaser. I have just gotten used to it, I don't know of any local seller of hatchery chicks that has a 100% guarantee for breed nor sex.

I just buy plenty and then sort them out as they mature, cull the birds you do not wish to keep. Pullets at the point of lay are often easy to sell. I know this does not help with getting white eggs when you were expecting flavors of brown, but it is just another obstacle the dedicated bird keeper will have to navigate.

Best,

RJ

Last edited:
I will get pics today, don't get me wrong white eggs are not the problem, the reason I bought older chicks was for EGGS. I would never cull just for the egg color , I just find it very weird.

Back
Top Bottom