Confusing chicks

soucha

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 24, 2012
Alabama
Hi, I ordered from a hatchery, so I figure these chicks would be a little off, but my last order was great! Anyway I ordered 2 barred rock hens and 3 australorp hens.. well one died, and now their feathers are coming in, one is a little barred chick, one is big and all black. But 2 of them are as big as the all black one, but have barring on their wings, otherwise black. Would they be australorps with poor color or barred rock roos even though supposed to have been hens?

I'll try to get pic in the morning. They are five weeks old. They had the white spot on thier head when they arrived.

then they are probably barred rocks. and you can't tell if it is a rooster unless you do some crazy feather thing on their first day, or unless you wait for a cluck which is a rooster.

then they are probably barred rocks. and you can't tell if it is a rooster unless you do some crazy feather thing on their first day, or unless you wait for a cluck which is a rooster.
Wouldn't that be a crow?

Also, OP, if you post photos it is quite likely that at 5 weeks it may be clear who is what at this point. There are plenty of tell-tale signs that will develop before the whole "crow or lay" point.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone... but I went to the coop for pictures today and we have lost the chicks in question :-( It seems a opossum or raccoon has found a way into the coop. SO sad!!

Thank you everyone... but I went to the coop for pictures today and we have lost the chicks in question :-( It seems a opossum or raccoon has found a way into the coop. SO sad!!
I'm sorry for your losses.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom