Confusing hen

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
I dont know how to explain this. So I have one silkie in a standard-sized flock. She used to get bullied now they barely pick on her but there's the occasional pecking order type thing from the "mother" of the group hen. Anytime they even look at her or breathe she starts making noises like she's scared of them and runs away, even though they're not doing anything. She hides in the nesting box because nobody bothers her there. She won't even roost, I'll put her up there but she'll jump down to go back to the box. (She's not broody, she's laying eggs). So then there are times where she wants to jump out and get away from them so I'll take her out separately and then she goes crazy because now she wants to go back in with them. So I don't know if he wants to be away from them or stay with them. Has anyone dealt with something like this? overall she seems healthy, I need her to stop going in the box as she needs to eat and drink, and if she is she eat or drink very fast so she can get away from them even though there minding their buiseness.

Ah, the low hen.
Just leave her with her flock, make sure you've got plenty of space for her to get away from them if she needs to. Multiple feed and water stations, separated by sight lines.
Post pics of your coop and run and we can make specific suggestions.

Ah, the low hen.
Just leave her with her flock, make sure you've got plenty of space for her to get away from them if she needs to. Multiple feed and water stations, separated by sight lines.
Post pics of your coop and run and we can make specific suggestions.
I will provide pictures but turns out shes the broody silkie of the thread I posted later on after this. Thank you

Personally - I would let her go. Often times, silkies just do not fit in a flock of standard birds. And that victim call is stressing to the other birds too. It is a cycle. That distressed noise is worrisome to prey. Chickens are prey animals. So even though some or all of the standard flock caused this, they won't understand that. Some birds will fit in a flock, and some birds won't. I like peace in my flock, and I would let her go.

Or I would create another flock of just silkies.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom