Confusion about transitioning from brooder to coop

MarkoG

In the Brooder
May 27, 2015
Hello,
We're brand new at raising chickens. We have six (almost 7 week old) chicks in our brooder in the basement. We should be done with the coop and enclosed run this week.

When we introduce them to the coop/run. I've heard that they should be locked in the coop for a few nights to let them know that the coop is home. Is this true? Does that mean that I shouldn't let them into their run at all for a few days?

Thank you!

When I moved my chicks to their outdoor coop, I locked them into their coop for the night, and let them out in the run in the morning. They had a hard time at first figuring out what to do when it was getting dark, so I put them into their coop. I helped them into their coop at night for a few days and after that they started going in on their own.

I also have just six girls; we moved them out to their coop when they were 6 weeks. I never locked mine in the coop. Instead, I just brought out treats around 8:30pm to put in the coop. By the third night they were already up in the coop before I got out there with the treats.

Back
Top Bottom