Conjoined twin duckling

I'm sorry if I came off as judging, it wasn't my intention!

I've seen a lot of birds come in with debilitating injuries/conditions that otherwise we wouldn't have known about without internal examination. These birds are prey animals, so weakness and pain is something they can't show if they can help it.

We once had a broiler hen come in with a defective breastbone. It was likely that it was broken at some point as a chick, but it healed improperly and she grew a long calcified spike that poked directly toward her chest. It would have jabbed into her muscles every time she breathed. You'd have never known she had the injury because she never showed signs of pain other than the fact she never moved her left wing much, but there's no doubt that she was suffering from it

The only way to relieve the pain would be surgery to remove the spike, and the price of the surgery was far more than she would earn as a meat hen, so the decision was made to cull her.

Sometimes birds show no signs of illness because they're prey animals, and it's in their instinct to not become food. Often it's too late to treat them by the time they start showing symptoms. Should the duckling survive its first two weeks, an exam would be the easiest and most humane way to determine if the bird will have a good quality of life as it matures, or if it should be culled. (And again, many vets would do an exam for this duckling for free because it's such a rare occurrence!)
I have worked in an animal hospital, as well as this is not my first hatch of ducks… these eggs came from my own stock… I am well aware of the prey bird mentality and. Have seen birds recover from massive injuries without much assistance from me.. as I said I’d I feel at any point this little duckling has a lessened quality of life I will not let it suffer… vets in my area do not work for free regardless of how rare the case is… have you ever seen a dog walk on with an anal prolapse? It want pretty…or free regardless of the clients financials… not to mention Covid… a vet is not an option on my judgement.. regardless of if my birds are for consumption or pets they are cared for and loved from the moment of hatch till the very end…

I’m not sure if you’ve seen the pictures or not.. but it seems that only the head was absorbed into Frank’s body… so there are two winds shoulders body and two legs coming out of Frank’s abdomen… right now he is acting like any normal hours old duckling… I’ve hatched a lot of feathered babies healed curled twos spry legs angel wing, wry neck and never seen anything like this!!
It is odd at first but you get used to it honestly. As log as baby is happy no worries. Pasty but was CHRONIC in my baby, heck we are still struggling with it at 9 weeks. Keep an eye out for that for sure.

have you ever seen a dog walk on with an anal prolapse?
Unfortunately, yes. That and a total uterine prolapse from pyometra in a German shep of four years. Horrible condition.

It's good to know you've worked in an animal hospital since some of the experience hopefully helped teach what to look out for when it comes to discomfort/pain. I'm wishing you and the duckling the best. He's an adorable little guy!

I’m not sure if you’ve seen the pictures or not.. but it seems that only the head was absorbed into Frank’s body… so there are two winds shoulders body and two legs coming out of Frank’s abdomen… right now he is acting like any normal hours old duckling… I’ve hatched a lot of feathered babies healed curled twos spry legs angel wing, wry neck and never seen anything like this!!
Oh my. An entire body would almost certainly be a concern. Lots more potential for complications Can you get better photos? It dont show what you described here, or atleast i couldn't see it. I just seen legs and maybe a wing.

This is crazy. I'm concerned for the duckling’s health as s/he(or both she and he?!) matures. I can't say I am certain it will survive but I am hopeful. If it makes it two weeks and seems to be developing well you can take it to the vet’s to be looked at. They can evaluate the next step in your plan.

I have worked in an animal hospital, as well as this is not my first hatch of ducks… these eggs came from my own stock… I am well aware of the prey bird mentality and. Have seen birds recover from massive injuries without much assistance from me.. as I said I’d I feel at any point this little duckling has a lessened quality of life I will not let it suffer… vets in my area do not work for free regardless of how rare the case is… have you ever seen a dog walk on with an anal prolapse? It want pretty…or free regardless of the clients financials… not to mention Covid… a vet is not an option on my judgement.. regardless of if my birds are for consumption or pets they are cared for and loved from the moment of hatch till the very end…
don't cull it yet, you are not sure of the quality of life. Give it a couple weeks. If it was able to hatch on it's on I have hope for it.

Back
Top Bottom